green hard algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by hoodoo, Jan 3, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

it's on all the the glass. on the back too. Would the snails eat the coraline?
    But yes, it does look just like coraline.

2. Click Here!

3. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

ah, I forgot. my purble coraline is growing real nice too. got small spots all over the glass and on shells and everywhere.

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I'm not sure about the snails :) Do you see them on the glass? Also I wonder if some of the cleaning could be 'kiss' marks made by the fish?

Because coraline of different colours seems to grow under different light conditions, I thought that there may have been some outside light source that was causing the green coraline to grow.

John

5. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

well, I'm pretty sure it's not my 5 little chromis that are eating the algae ;)

The snails definately are on the glass, all the time. They seem to eat it. And it really does look like the "eating marks" snails leave.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Ok, snails it is then :) But don't discount the Chromis though, they could also be helping :)

In any case a quick scrape with a razor blade will do the trick, for the glass, not the snails or Chromis :)

John

7. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Those marks look exactly like kiss marks from my clown when she is on a pod binge.

Jay

PS.. everyone I put up some new pics in my album.
    Its my 30 gallon tank. My first reef that I put up last July I think it was. Its doin great. Guess Im proud.

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=Jay

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice tank Jay! Everything looks healthy.  :)

@hoodoo Ah.. new tank syndrome. No worries.. Scrape that glass so we can see that colt? coral. ;)

10. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

it's a xenia. It died off in my small tank and it is finally back to health and pumping :)
    My tank is going really good, I'm real happy.
    I just saw this biiiiig crab today, I was shocked ;)
    about 3 inches with claws I guess... Well, I'll try to catch it somehow...

and thanks matt, that was exaclty what I wanted to hear ;)
    that it is a normal part of the cycle and that I don't have to worry about it right now.
    I'll probably scrape the glass on wednesday, got my first appointment at the OB tomorrow :) man, I'm kinda nervous ...

11. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=hoodoo link=board=General;num=1104782393;start=0#8 date=01/03/05 at 20:21:11]well sea, that was exactly my question, if it is a normal new tank stage.

but I don't have any nitrites or nitrates in my tank. Didn't have it for a while before I got it.

sea: not to be rude, but you don't really come over very friendly. It sounds as if you are telling us we are stupid for not knowing what we got there. that's, what this forum is for, isn't it?[/quote]
    I am sorry i did not convey my sarcasm in the post. I in no way meant to offend you! If i remeber correctley you have a nano system....that requires lots of intelligence! Seriously, did not mean to come off as rude....us...? Please pnly speak for thyself.

12. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I dont wan this to turn into a war post...so.....hoodoo, I believe that to be reg old green algae.