*@#!&^%^#$ green hair! at end of my rope!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ragc, Apr 16, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What should I do with my tank?

1. Boil it in muriatic acid

3.7%
  2. throw it out the window

3.7%
  3. make it into a green hair algae habitat tank

14.8%
  4. patiently wait and continue all the control measures

77.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

my god, I retract my advice.

2. Click Here!

3. Jglo5

Jglo5 Plankton

Green hair algae

I know where you're coming from with that algae. We pull it off. We have a lawn mower blennie that ate it at first but now won't. He'll dab at the algae on the glass and eat flake food. We next tried an Emerald crab. He hasn't touched the algae but stays busy scavenging. Guess we'll keep pulling by hand. JGlo5

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

a lot of people think that since their tests are reading zero they shouldnt have algae outbreaks etc. Well if you are having an outbreak and your tests are reading zero, the algae could be sucking everything up so fast that its not traceable in the water. So it would be hard to pinpoint the problem.

Another thing, old bulbs cause algae problems. Also salt spray on the bulbs can cause it too, it causes the light not to penetrate like it should. Algae doesnt like strong light.

1 person likes this.
  5. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i am surprised nobody has mentioned a big clean up crew just a bunch of reef safe hermits, nerite, turbo and, nassarius snails. i can put rocks covered with hair algae and my crew will demolish it in like 3 days. if you look at the rock in the backround all of the white area was covered with green hair algae about 4 days before this picture was taken you can even see them finishing up the rock

[​IMG]

6. mad_kangaroo

mad_kangaroo Astrea Snail

My Mexican Turbo Snails did a real number on a piece of rock I had, covered in hair algae. My emeralds take care of any amount that has tried to grow back.

1 person likes this.
  7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The secondary metabolites (toxin producers) in many algaes actually kill many clean up crews if the algae gets too well established before they start eating it.

A small clean up crew that is consistently keeping algae in check works better because when they die, if not removed, they release nutrients that continue to feed the algal growth.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

10. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

hi,

HI,
    I found that phos was causing my problems I bought a little cheep phos reactor and put some of that iron based phos remover and it all sarted to clear up almost in about 2 days.
    It worked and was well worth the 40 bucks.
    Doug

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor