*@#!&^%^#$ green hair! at end of my rope!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ragc, Apr 16, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What should I do with my tank?

1. Boil it in muriatic acid

3.7%
  2. throw it out the window

3.7%
  3. make it into a green hair algae habitat tank

14.8%
  4. patiently wait and continue all the control measures

77.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Thanks for the karma, Covey, and for being observant. The nudibranch is something new to me... How would one do in my small tank? I have plenty snails and they thrive (and reproduce). I assume it will be more effective due to it's larger size?

2. Click Here!

3. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

you could also go with a sea hare they do a great job with hair algae !!

4. giopimentel

giopimentel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Do you have a fuge? I had some trouble with algae mostly because of direct sunlight that I couldn't help, but with the new plants in the fuge I rarely have to clean my glass and the water looks sooooooo much clearer. I suggest if you have room for even a 10 gallon fuge it will help.

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

If its briopsis which is tough and coarse like a brillo pad then you will have to just keep pulling it off and maybe scrub the rock. It actually grows into the rock. If its hair algae, then try an emerald crab. Bicolor blennies will eat it to and they stay small.

6. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Just hair...I have an emerald. He won't touch it! Been thinking of making the sump of my Skilter a fuge. It's big enough and I would only add light. My tank is heavily planted, though. You would think that the caulerpa would take all the nutrients. It grows aggressively.

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

You might try one of the smaller urchins too. They have their drawbacks mainly knocking stuff over and eating your coraline but I have 3 hairy pincushion urchins and they are the best thing I ever found for eating hair algae.

The lettuce nudibrachs stay small and eats almost exclusively hair algae but only certain species of algae. I had gotten two for my tank at one point and they did nothing for my green hair algae but yours looks different than mine.

What does your algae feel like?

8. Click Here!

9. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

I do have a pencil urchin. He doesn't do the hair algae.

It's slimy to the touch when out of the water. It is pretty strong in tensile strenght. I can lift big rocks pulling on it, and it will not break.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

ragc

Without wanting to start a "war". Do you have a DSB?

Also how often are you doing water changes? I would suggest that if the water parameters you quote are correct that you slow up on the water changes ( why change something that is OK for something that is unknown ) for a month, keep mechanically removing the algae ( GENTLEY ) and do nothing else for a while

John :)

12. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well I can't believe I am doing this, But I am going to have to agree with John,:hehe: Just kidding John :hehe: IMO Good advice;) ;D John