Green hair algae!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by rickzter, Jan 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Hey Jerid. My algae problem has been somewhat under control. I still have traces here and there, but all the large patches have disappeared except for hard to reach places where the cleaners cannot get to. I scrape patches that are easily accessible. All the algae is keeping the tang and sailfin extremely happy and fat. I'm also gonna reduce the feeding of meats to 1 1/2 times a week. The extra 1/2 is to keep my suns full during the week. :p

I have yet to add anymore snails but am considering ceriths, as they are small and have read that they are monsters at neutralizing hair algae. Planning to put in 5, then see how those do. I lost two hermits, so that's somewhat setting me back a tad.

2. Click Here!

3. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

i have ceriths and sorry to say they did not touch my hair algae they stay in the sand.

4. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I have hair algae on my substrate now and it's starting to get out of control. I have a 12 hour light cycle atm b/c of an anemone in my tank. Curious how yours (everyone who has/had it) is doing now :)

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Hair algae has been gone for months now. Sailfin and purple tang did just the trick. Eversince I reduced feedings and got rid of my suns, that proved to be a big help as well.

I've also put together a team of Astrea snails to patrol my reef. They do a great job. ;D I've thrown in small left handed hermits to get to hard to reach areas. All is well. I thank my sailfin and tang for the major tear down of the hair algae though.

Chances are you have high phosphates, anything higher than .5ppm is a no no. What are you parameters. I've also noticed that water changes help, but not enough to control an outbreak. Big established patches wont care if the phosphates are gone. Try reducing your photo period to atleast 10 hours. Those minus 2 hours can do a lot to help rid of it.

6. serotonin

I really like the powder blues and the regular blues(the ones from finding nemo, sorry i forget the name)

My QT tank is only 29 gallons so I'm not sure what to do with a quarantine for a fish of this type. Unless I get a baby, I don't know if i'd like to risk infecting my DT again(stupid, stupid me..... )

Right now i have 3 turbos and about 50 blue legged hermits (a few are getting HUGE :) ) to patrol my tank. I don't think they have a taste for hair algae. My coral beauty is in QT until Sunday, i know they like to much on the growth, just not sure if it'll graze on that stuff.

As far as feeding, my DT has been fish-less for 3.5 weeks so I very sparingly add food for the hermits, serpent star, cleaner shrimp that are currently in there. I do have a higher phosphate(thx to tap water) count than I'd like and my lighting cycle is a bit long. Maybe I should use this as an opportunity to convince my wife we should start looking at a couple tangs :) !

7. taz4067

taz4067 Plankton

Tryr educing how long you lights are on, by some Scarlate crab, Fox face fish,or other vegetarian fish and they will eat the hair alge

8. Click Here!

9. serotonin

I just bought 2 more MH lights so that's only going to make it worse.

But I also got:
    - OCEAN REEF 4 FIVE STAGE RO/DI 75
    - paracanthurus hepatus x 2
    - a head stone with RIP Hair Algae engraved on it

10. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

zebrasoma flavescens is a voracious herbivore. ;D

11. alkath

alkath Plankton

hi can anyone help! having problems with flatworm can anyone advise at present we are siphoning with turkey baster, which seems to be doing the trick any suggestions thanks alkath