Green hair algae!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by rickzter, Jan 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

has any one ever used a phosban reactor? I have the same problem. I just ordered one from Foster and Smith. Was just curious.

2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I saw that not too long ago. It looks very nice. I've always liked fluidized beds. In the past, I just used a mesh bag in the sump or canister.

Post up once you gain some experence with it.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Well, green hair is still there, did a 5gal change and might do one in about 1 week. Changed media, I'll see how it goes.

5. chetrod

It comes in tomorrow 1/26 I hope to see some changes. will update.

6. mannyhernz

mannyhernz Fire Worm

stop feeding? i say dont stop feeding just keep tank on a diet!

7. chetrod

what feeding schedule do you use? I feed Frozen krill and brine shrimp a small shot glass full. Then small amounts of flake food from a feeder twice a day. Sometimes I forget the krill and miss a day.

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

My fish get fed a small amount that last less than a minute every day. Or if I forget, every other day. I used to feed them every 3rd day.

Jim

10. JeridJohnson

JeridJohnson Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

rikzter,
    What is the status of your algae problem? Im battling my own and am curious how you are making out.

Cheers,
    Jerid

11. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Bali Sea Monster

Green Hair alagy almost got me out of the hobby. It took over and it took over fast. Ruining pumps, killing coral and inverts. As a last result try a Bali Sea Monster (Sea Hare). This guy cleaning my tank in less then a week after i tried everything. I say as a last result as when the hair is gone, so was the hare.

12. JeridJohnson

JeridJohnson Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My alge prob is much more under control now.. I dont have to clean the glass for about 3 days.. I have added more astrea snails and have a couple turbos.. also added some more hermits.. I added a sack of phosphate killer in the overflow box.. started using ro/di water and quit feeding frozen food on a reguar basis.. When I do feed frozen food I soak it in water and then strain it so only the meaty chuncks get into my tank.. I am feeding flake as the primary food source now and only feed every other day.. Mine got so bad that I could see the alge grow on the glass hour by hour... it took over my sand and rocks.. The tang and snails have cleaned up most of it now..