Green hair algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by keifer905, Jan 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. keifer905

keifer905 Peppermint Shrimp

yea i have pulled so many fistfulls out ahhh the memories......

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hang in there Keifer - its a battle that can be won IME

algae fix marine API
    from my research most negatives are from fish and inverts
    but not in every case (conditions in peoples tanks vary and it may be a sum of various conditions and parameters which causes this affect for some users and as yet I have not seen any definite answers to this potential issue ) but as stated it works for many people
    and they have achieved erradication of GHA using it, without the issue of inverts or fish dying

Im not advising you to do it or not to do it
    I am just letting you know , what my research has given me about this product

methods to consider as alternative

Phosphate is often the main fuel utilised by GHA and rocks that have accumulated sediment over a period of time will have absorbed a lot of phosphate and the GHA is perfect for removing and utilising this nutrient

GFO is used, can remove phosphate from the water column, but it cant get at Phosphate locked up in the rockwork

if you continually remove the GHA manually and at the same time run GFO any phosphate released by the algae as you cut it back, will be absorbed by the GFO
    at the same time increase your maintenance to include a blasting of the rock work with a power head to remove as much detrius from them and then filter this away or syphon it out with a water change and this reduces your future phosphate and nitrate potential

once the GHA has used up the phosphate being held in the rock, and you have manually removed it, and also removed the future potential for it, you will have beaten it

IME

Steve

4. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Wise words steve...don't give up yet this battle can be won.just keep pulln that gha out and if u use prefilters clean them as well this made a huge difference in my tank

5. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Been there - it was actually simple - GFO/Carbon - RO water - Refugium with cheto.

Lawnmower benny and + 5 cuc.

Took 30days - For me I am sure it was phosphates from the dead rock.

6. vegastyle

vegastyle Astrea Snail

I love my sea hare "Shrek". He hides after his night feeding and it's a contest of "Where's Waldo/Shrek" every morning with my wife !

7. TROYBOY84

TROYBOY84 Feather Duster

will it go away after it consumes the phosphates

8. Click Here!

9. rick36

rick36 Plankton

i went with a mp 10 pusher a year ago in my 40 gallon and it made a huge difference. i was always told WATER FLOW is your friend. what do you have for pushers and main pump? also everyone is right, RO/DI water is the only stuff to use. i get mine at my local lfs

10. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. Also using RO/DI water and a high quality salt with little if any NO3, phosphates etc like Tropic Marin will really help too. Adding a phosphate remover, increasing flow in your tank, adjusting your tank's photo period or replacing old bulbs may help too.

11. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

and the thread rises from the dead.....wonder where the tank is now that enough time has passed...