Green Hair Algae control

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Anldyxp, Mar 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

Sorry if I missed it but, I did not read anywhere if you are using a protein skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Thanks guys. ^^ Yeah I do have a protein skimmer. I just cant figure out what the problem is. My Nitrates are 0 and I tested phosphates and they were 0 too. I used the API test and I've heard that its not very accurate so I bought some phosban and have it running in a AC30 in the sump/fuge.

I've removed most of the algae but some of the left over little hairs are hard to get off and I'm not able to move some of the rocks in the tank. Will the algae eventually die off if my water parameters are in check? Or have I just stopped the progression and the leftover GHA still needs to be removed manually?

4. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

There is no way to tell. Many tanks with undetectable nutrients have algae problems, time will tell.

5. sneaton

sneaton Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

is hard to pull off the rock? whats your waterchange schedule? just siphon out as much as you can with water changes and keep the feeding down....when you notice the hair starting to come off the rock easily your close to the end....the algae is using the nutrients so that may be why the tests are 0....or the rock could be leaching.....with the api nitrate make sure u shake the #2 bottle really hard for atleast a minute to get a accurate reading...

6. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Thanks guys. Yeah the algae is pretty attached to the rock. I've removed most of it, just a few hairs left. I change the water once a month. My nitrates are consistently 0, even before the algae appeared. So I figured that the algae couldn't be due to nitrates.

I do feed quite often though. I feed once a day. Should I start feeding every other day? Could the algae be due to my lights being on too long? I have 2 par30 LED bulbs that are on 8 hours a day.

7. sneaton

try twice a month on water changes to see if that helps....it will end soon,its just another algae cycle

8. Click Here!

9. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

I had an outbreak of gha and I did weekly water changes and I cut back my lighting period to about 6 hours a day

10. sneaton

+1 that will help alot

11. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Just a reminder that the reason your levels are reading zero is because the algae is consuming the nitrates as well as the phosphates.

12. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Algae he's removed?

Your tank has already grown algae in a low nutrient condition. You didn't buy algae covered rocks, you bought potentiated rocks and have restored them to that condition. In 3 mos back to square one.