Green film on glass every night....what am I missing or doing wrong???

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Otty, Jan 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

It would be 12.5 if I was using the high side of the chart but I didn't have to mix the way they said to read off the high side.

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

It's not a thick slime, it's just a green film that is hard to look through.

4. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

How does your xenia look? Your corals are a good barometer of how the water quality is in your tank.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

My first piece of Xenia that has been in the tank for 3 weeks now just done it's first split last night. That was pretty cool, I have two of them now so I will probably have many more in the future....:-/ Pretty cool for my first coral.

6. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Otty hows your ph? Algae seems to thrive in low ph conditions and as i was reading you can have pockets of low ph concentrations in the nooks and crannies of your live rock -

7. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

I thought the Mangroves needed minimum light???

just search Mangrove on ebay, a ton will pop up!!!

thanks

Scoffer

8. Click Here!

9. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

This is true but if it's cyno it's a bacteria and not truly algae. I think it needs to be a process of elimination, check chemistry and then determine what remedies need to be taken to get rid of it.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

amcarring said they like a strong light and if they started turning yellow then they need more. I have never worked with mangroves so I am taking advice from the veterans here. I got some ordered from Hawaii last night. Thanks!

11. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Otty, sorry about not knowing what I was talking about last night, lol. I got to thinking about what I said, and it didnt make sents, he he. If you n03 is betten 0-2.5, I think your in the green. The thin film your a talking of is just what I would call a normal thang. I have to clean my glass every few days to, because a light green film gets on the glass. Get some more snails if you want it gone, but other than that I dont think ther is much you can do. Your tank is new, and will go through algea blooms, red slime, and pod blooms. It is just showing you that your tank is maturing. Let us know how the mangroves do. Ive always thought of doing them in a hang on refug, and let light from a window light them. Then I would get a cool plant in the house, and it would help the tank, lol.

Michael

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

No problem Birchell, I am new at some of these test so I was questioning myself. Will learn it all in time. Spent about $100 in test kits today from Salty Critter, made sure I bought all of them so I can see where the tank is.