Green film on glass every night....what am I missing or doing wrong???

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Otty, Jan 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Are y'all feeing a concentrated plankton maybe ? What are the NO3 levels as well as te PO4's ? Carbonates and Calcium where they need to be ? Temps getting higher maybe ? Sounds to me like somthing is feeding a plankton bloom aka Greenwater..

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You can try it. Keep an eye on the mangroves and if you see the leaves start to turn yellow, you'll want to give them more light. As for the big tank, I'm sure he'll have plenty more pics to post as that project moves forward. :)

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I just got a Titaniuim heater put in it tonight because my other one was never the same two days in a row, it wold fluxuate about 3 to 4 degree everyday so I took care of that. NO3 was about 0 to 2.5 on the color chart tuesday night. I don't have a caronates and calcium test kit. Sounds like something else I need to put on my list. Amcarring told me to get a phosphate test kit also. I just have the basic Red Sea mulit test kit, thought that is all I needed, guess I thought wrong. Will get it on order tomorrow then post my parameters. Thanks for sharing the knowledge!;D

5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

wow, 0 - 2.5 is a huge difference, lol. Is your test kit that bad?? I always found that when my trates were above 10 I would get more algea growth. But even at 0-5 that I have now, I still get a thin light green film on my glass that I have to wipe away every few days. I thought it was normal tooo, lol. Mybe im wrong.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

My kit has six different colors to check the water next to they go as follows: 0, 2.5, 5.0, 10, 20, 50 in the Low Range then if you have to test High Range then it goes: 0, 12.5, 25, 50, 100, 250. I am starting to think I got the cheap one......:-/ What test kit do you use???? The good LFS is 50 minutes from my house but we have a PetCo in town but they don't have much saltwater stuff and that's where I got my test kit.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

A thin green haze on your glass every few days is pretty much normal but Otty's been complaining that he's having to scrape a green film off of his glass every day. To me, that indicates a possible water quality issue.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

10. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Should I say...I have been useing the "Dip Strip" kit, lol. I was using the red sea kit from petco, but I ran out of the reactor chimical, so I just shot over to wal-mart and got the dip strip. It is like 8 bucks and tests PH, Alk, Hardness, Nitire, and Nitrate, all in one strip. It is pretty cool for what it is, just kinda hard to make out the colors some times. I dont think this is a big problem with your tank, so you could wait a few days and get what you want. I think your kit is not testing in "ppm". Because 2.5 would be like 250ppm, or that is what I would think, ?. Most fish get really stressed at like 50-60ppm. Ill stop rabbling on, just let me know what your kit is testing in, ppm or...

Michael

11. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

are you sure your not reading 25, and not 2.5??

12. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

amcarrig, thanks. I was thinking of a light green film. Otty is this a thick green slim, or just a lite film?