Green bubble algea

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Hatonhed, Sep 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hatonhed

Hatonhed Plankton

Hello again! I happened by petco yesterday to look at there tanks. Unfortunately this is the closest place to me that has marine fish. I was looking and I see that they have a bad case if green bubble algae. I am currently setting up my first marine tank and I am curious if it is safe to buy from these tanks or if I should run the other direction?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you're uncomfortable with the appearance of the rock they perhaps think about starting with all dry rock. You can easily initiate the cycle with some decaying organic matter such as dry fish food and then introduction of Dr. Tims or Microbacter7. Later once the tank is completely cycled you can look for a fully cured piece of live rock to seed the tank with coralline algae.

4. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Probably run away. However, I have bought live rock with a bubble algae or two, not knowing they were there. If you buy a rock with few BA, you can carefully pick/flick the BA off by getting a small tool like tweezers, or something pokey. Don't squeeze the BA. Get the tool under the BA and very quickly, flick the BA off.

5. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

^ this.

6. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

Is it fact or fiction that bursting BA in your tank will release spores and cause it to spread? I have heard it both ways.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have seen hobbyist that I consider very experienced and knowledgeable state that yes spores are released if you rupture the bubble.

Personally I have never had an issue with it, but I am inclined to take the advice.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 unfortunately breaking some is inevitable.The Emerald crabs break them while eating them and manually removing them is bound to break a few. Combating BA is just like any other pest algaes. Manual removal of as many as possible (especially the larger ones as Emeralds will not be able to eat them) the addition of a few emerald crabs, and of course aggressive maintenance.;)

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think it also depends on what you're considering buying from the tanks. As others have said, a few bubble algaes wouldn't necessarily deter me from buying something. In terms of buying fish, I wouldn't have it deter me either especially if the fish look healthy and are eating. I am really careful not to burst the BA when I've picked them out...I usually try to take the whole piece of rock out and then remove (when that's possible).

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Bubble algae is in most fish stores. I've seen it in the nicest stores that sell high end. I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker if I wanted to purchase something. Petco gets some nice stuff sometimes.