green and brown algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by puffer_lover, Feb 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. puffer_lover

puffer_lover Astrea Snail

[glow=green,2,300]My tank is almost a year old but the algae is still every were and it is not very pretty.......i have this green algae onthe glass that is impossible to get off with anything that i have tried......then i have this green algae on the crushed coral that is like slime and justis groos!.....also i have this brown hair like algea on my live rick and it won't go away....ahhhhhh!!!!!! some one plz help me i hate ALGAE!!!!!![/glow] :huh: >:( :eek: :'( :'( :'( :huh: :huh: :eek: >:( >:(

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

puff I feel your pain. Do me a favor, please flip through the pages on this algae board and see what you find and post back with that. If you still need help, we can pull you through. :)

4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

PL, what are your nitrates and phosphates running? What type of lighting do you have and are the bulbs more than 9 months old? How long are you leaving your lights on? Are you able to put snails, algea eating hermit crabs, emerald crabs, lawn mower blennies and kole tangs in your tank? These guys do a number on algea clean up, but you must find the root of the cause of the algea such as poor water quality, high nutients and poor lighting.

5. puffer_lover

the nitrate is a little high b/c of the algea and i cannot but snails in there b/c my puffer with eat him also i asked my friend who is a freak about this stuff and he said the lighting and bulbs are fine he said i might need to get a powerhead to give it a little more water movment is this right?

6. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Pl, Yes water movement will help some with the problem but won't make it go away. Adding a refuge with macro algea will help by competing for nutrients and lowering the nitrates. What are your nitrate numbers? What kind of puffer do you have? I have a false eyed toby puffer an he pretty much leaves my snails alone except for an occasional nudge. What kind of lighting do you have- how many watts per gallon, what type of bulbs and do you replace them every 9 months. In addition how many hrs. per day do you leave them on? If you cant add snails then I would strongly suggest getting some algea eating fish like kole or atlantic blue tangs, and especially the lawn mower blenny, thaey dont call it a lawn mower blenny for nothing!

7. puffer_lover

ok thnx to all and the to anwswer all you guyses question i will get bck to you l8er gotta go look......