Green algae with refugium?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Eli_The_Eel, Aug 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Eli_The_Eel

Eli_The_Eel Fire Worm

I have a breeder net loaded with chaeto that is kind of hard to see in the picture. If i took it out of the net it would take up half of the refugium area. I plan on getting a HOB skimmer when I get the money since my fuge isnt big enough to drop a submersible in there. I guess I could add some carbon in there, right now all I have is a microfiber filter.

So I should add a skimmer, carbon and more snails--is that the bottom line?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You don't want to put a skimmer in the refugium. You want to put it in the sump (which I'm assuming you have?) And I won't run a reef tank w/o a skimmer and w/o running carbon 24/7.

4. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Slow your fuge down, run a skimmer, run carbon, get more snails and cut your lights back.

My fuge has Chaeto and Mangroves, it runs as slow as the pump will go (barely a trickle) and it's a freakin swamp! I have to (once a week) give the chaeto a haircut and remove the slimecoat off the top of the water in there. I have very little GHA left from a bloom that all but took over my tank about 6-8 weeks ago. It's the combination of things though that will help you control the algae (or bacteria) and not just one particular adjustment.