Great Barrier Reef corals mostly dead by 2050

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

One thing I would strongly urge everyone to do is go rent "An Inconvenient Truth". It's a good movie for getting some info on how the ocean currents help cool the sea temps and what happens when the ocean gets warmer and warmer. I found it very eye opening and sad. What am I doing as a person about this? Well I signed up through my local county for their Master Composter/ Recycler program so I can teach others about how to lesson your "carbon footprint" and reduce waste while mending soils for healthier plants.

2. Click Here!

3. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

:end:
    If a 1 degree rise in sea temps would be so deadly why he hell are we able to maintain fish and coral in aquariums that fluctuate so heavily?
    doesnt make sense to me so I have to throw the BS flag

4. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

Maybe i should try to save them and put em in my tank!!!! 8)

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Indeed it is very sad to see beautiful creations die, but unfortunately, the mighty dollar is more important. My wife also took environmental classes last yr and every time she came home, she had new negative statistics to report. I have to admit, I sometimes didnt even want to hear them. Its so depressing to hear all those negative reports and predictions. I sometimes wonder why I brought 3 children into this futureless world. One things for sure, we better get our s**t together before we reach the point of no return. Unless its already to late.:(

6. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

Its something that all man kind needs to unite and save what is very special ..our enviroment .. But really we are our own worst enemy. saying that the water temperature rises coral reefs are forming elsewhere , in colder places where they usually wouldnt so there is some look up with the problem !!

I would like to know how long these scientists have known that this is happening , it seems a very hard task when the glaciers are melting rising water levels etc ...pollution from the cars we drive etc .. the list goes on maybe we should go back to riding horses or something ..kangaroos for that matter:turkey:

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

You young'uns better get down there and enjoy it while you can...

GB Reef is just one link in a great chain.

May other reefs are going to go before and along with it. :(

8. Click Here!

9. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Coral Reefer I don't know how many time I need to write ditto after your posts. I am on exactly the same page.

1 person likes this.
  10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i think theres worse things to worry about than a one degree rize in temp.i've had my tank at 90 degrees for 3 days at a time with no loss.i'm more concerned about polution,especially from our neighbors across from us.

1 person likes this.
  11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Danger to reefs not limited to rising temps...(of course could be related somehow...:-/)
    Recent marine surveys by scientists in the Great Barrier Reef have found that an explosion in the population of the crown-of-thorns starfish has decimated parts of the region’s reefs and are now threatening part of the so-called Coral Triangle – one of the world’s richest regions of coral reef biodiversity.

Once you've got an outbreak, there's almost nothing you can do to stop it. The only way to ensure you've got some reef left at the end of it is to protect lots of other areas," says Dr Andrew Baird, an Australian member of the survey team.

Visit while you can.

:cry:

12. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

hopefully they will live on longer then 2050