GoToSleep's 700g Build Thread (& complete remodel)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by GoToSleep, Aug 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

How is the work coming along with the house and tank?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Just found out that the new tank is finished and supposedly on it's way from Texas. It may be are weeks yet before I can coordinate the time to have it delivered to the house and start setting it up again.

My custom stand suffered some cosmetic damage due to some of the frame boards swelling when they got wet and this led to them popping loose some of the finish boards. It does look like the floor may have survived, though.

4. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

First off, welcome back! Gosh, my condolences on the setback... I have to hand it to you man, not only would most of us probably throw in the towel after everything that you've been through... Not only have you somehow managed to stick with it but you've obviously kept your wife on board with this whole plan, at least to some extent. When i first read through this thread i was engaged at the time... Married now, actually 2 days away from our 1 year! Make that 1, it's after midnight... any how, let's just say i have a loooong way to go before my wife would want and let me have a tank like that...

5. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

i'm sure if you spent 1/2 what GTS has at your LFS, they'd be just as helpful! Of course i think it's safe to say GTS has also cultivated a pretty good friendship with that LFS owner over the years too.

6. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

GTS,

Dude, did you see this?
    You've got the second most viewed thread in this category! 3rd overall on 3reef that i've seen. 123,726 Views! 1463 Replies aren't to shabby either... Nice

7. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

It was amusing for me earlier this week... I was talking with a guy who recently started working for my company and it turns out that he used to have a reef tank. The weird thing is that he knew a lot about my tank that I was sure I'd never told him. I finally had to ask how he knew so many details and told me that he had followed my build here on 3reef. It was kinda fun and now I know where I can pull in some extra help for the rebuild.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the new tank being ready, hope everything goes well and quickly in the recovery phase

10. R33f

R33f Astrea Snail

Congrats on the new tank being ready! Do you think the seam failure might have been partially due to the canopy when it came crashing down?

11. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

That's a very interesting thought but I don't believe so.

The tank has a welded steel rim all the way around the top and as a center brace. nothing ever hit the tank anywhere close to the seam "failure". I say faillure since obvoiusly the tank did not perform as it was designed to but this was not a catastrophic failure in the sense of a whole panal becoming detached. As a matter of fact, I can't even see the defect now that there's no water pouring from it.

12. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Ah, i forgot about that little episode... you sure have had some "moments" with this tank haven't you!