GoToSleep's 700g Build Thread (& complete remodel)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by GoToSleep, Aug 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Im assuming he took a dive and a fish bit him giving him super powers so now he became a mermaid man and he is living happily ever after in his tank with Mary Jain?... Oh wait... Wrong super hero story..

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

:):smug::yelrotflm

4. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

For those who haven't given up entirely on the thread, yes I'm still alive. The fish are too (at least the 14 bullet-proof souls that survived the ich outbreak last year). One of challenges of having a tank this large is that it can really be a daunting task to follow through on changes or revisions that you might want to make. Sometimes it just takes a really big push (or splash) to get you going.

I'll try to post a bit more regularly over the next few months as I rebuild the tank from scratch. At least I'll have alittle bit more free time since i am retiring this weekend after 22 years in the National Guard.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Nice to have you back. Still following along, here. :)

Congratulations on retirement.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Glad you're back! Is the tank still up? I guess it is if you still have some of those awesome fish. You are rebuilding completely?

Do you still have the coral colonies etc you added? I'd like to see a current pic. and details on your future plans for it. This has been a great thread, glad it's still alive ;D

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome back, congrats on your retirement

Can't wait to see the changes

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Yay!!! Your back. I can't wait to see more pics. I missed reading about this tank.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Congrats on the retirement only have 10 years left myself for full AD retirment and ill only be in my 40's :)

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

9 years left and counting. ARNG

Glad to see you around GTS. Been awhile. I knew you had been busy with the ANG, but good lord man.

12. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Glad to be back. As to whether the tank is still up... not exactly.

Here is my tale of woe: round about the end of March I had to attend a conference for work. The conference was in New Orleans so my lovely wife came along to make sure that I didn't have too much fun with our her (just kidding of course, we had a wonderful time and great food, even got to take in a few Mardi Gras parades). Anway, at 2am Sunday morning my cell phone rang. It wasn't a number that I recognized so I just cussed and tried to go back to sleep. Unfortunately, my wife's cell started ringing less than a minute later and we both thought "this can't be good". I turned out to be our alarm company calling to say that the water sensor under our tank had triggered. I had had this happen several times before and the typical cause was usually something along the lines of the water level in the sump rising and causing the skimmer to spit salt water out the top which would then find its way to the water sensor. This definately wasn't something that I wanted to wake my in-laws up for at 2am on a Sunday morning so I decided to just give them a call once the sun came up. At 7am my father-in-law stopped by to check out the tank. He's quite a joker so I was certain that he was pulling my leg when he call me (still down in NOLA) and said that there was already six inches of water on our hardwood floors and that the tank was still gushing water out. :bawling: