Got the trim done...Now on to color.....

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by aesp533262, May 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

That is some VERY nice woodwork..!!

I have mixed stains befor to get the color I wanted..

Larry

2. Click Here!

3. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

Im taking samples to lowes/hd today to see what i find. I loved the Sedona Red.thanx Optimist..Exactly what im looking for. Lets see what it looks like on my wood...lol

Ill Post pics when I get back...Will Sedona Red Look good with black trim.....???? I tried a test sample using some krylon high gloss spray paint i had lying around and i didnt like the way the color took to the wood. Will latex paint look,adhere, differntly?

4. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Latex will have a thicker type consistancy, so long as its primed before you paint it it'll adhere fine. One thing to keep in mind, high gloss products bring to the surface any imperfections that may be there (high spots where filler was added for example) so remember the antage painting is 90% prep and 10% painting :)

5. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

I went to sleep early, sorry man. I had to get ready to head out to Afghanistan Monday morning...
    I wanted that red wood look and I thought it would be Cherry Oak or Red Mahogany but when I actually seen the color I was like wow not what I expected. Cherry Oak was like a white and Red Mahogany was like poop brown.
    Honestly, that color looks BAD A$$ with black trim if you see how it looks against the black inside. I am trying to get the trim put on today, before I leave tomorrow, as a matter of fact but wont have time to post pics. IMO, you will love the color combo... it's what I am going for.
    I stained with minwax stain and clear coat. It took 4-5 coats of both with sanding in between each coat to help the color lay evenly and look smooth. I am painting the trim with the Behr premium plus black latex... the inside of the stand was painted with Interlux brightside Polyurethane for boats. I did a test spot and you can't tell the difference between the two paints.

6. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

Exactly! Prep prep prep! All my filler spots stuck out, that's why I am adding trim to cover them up.
    Spray paint looks like crap compared to regular paint. You can't compare the two. Spray paint has a dusty look where latex has a smooth finished look that brings everything together.

Good luck with your quest and I will look for your thread when I get to a land line over there cuz I wanna see how it all turns out!

7. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

I would go with a stain... or black.
    How about a dark black stain? Like oil washed.. nice stand either way

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Looking good. I personally like the 'natural' look and I would stain mine in clear;)

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Looks really good can't wait to see it. Check mine out .. if you like white.