Got some new Fiji rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Infantry1327, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Its a SeaClear tank if I am not mistaken. I had a coupon and got it from my work for $50. I built the stand and the hood. It is very hard to find a pre made stand for a 40 Breeder tank with a spot under it for the sump. They do make them, I just didnt want to pay $400 for it. The wheels are very heavy duty. They are capable of holding 300 lbs a piece. There isnt even a creek when I move the tank. I also keep 2x4's under the stand about 1mm from the bottom. So if a wheel gives out, it will only drop a Millimeter until it is caught by the 2x4's. The tank is not drilled, I ordered a CS50 overflow box that hangs on the back and a Octopus NW150 skimmer.
    Hear is the overflow box I ordered.
    CS50 SIPHON AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave

2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Sounds like you got all your bases covered. Don't forget an aqualifter pump to keep the siphon constant. I have a CS100 on my tank and bubbles do get caught in the weir and can cause siphon breaks when it gets too much.

1 person likes this.
  4. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Yea I ordered the upgrade. And I read somewear that there is a way to fix that problem with a simple DIY Modification. When I find it again, I will post it for you.

But hear is my latest aquascape. I had to drill some of the pieces and connect them with small plastic rods to make sure they where sturdy. It was a pain trying to find plastic dowls, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought some plastic hangers and cut them up to make the dowls I needed. So far it is working great and I think I have enough caves for my fish to play in and still enough shelves to put some nice corals. Excuse the lack of light. My T5's havent come in yet, and the water is still a bit merky from aquascaping.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Yeah, you can rig the CS up to any powerhead to draw out the air. Just use some flexible 1/4" tubing. My CS package came with the aqualifter so I didn't bother with the PH mod. Another way to connect the rocks is to use those plastic zip ties. I used long 10" ones when I had my puffer, since he liked to rock the rocks over looking for pods to munch on. You can secure the rods with plain old 2-part epoxy and letting it dry. Or you can use the epoxy made for aquariums too. If you don't want to make it so permanent, you could try regular aquarium grade silicone too. :)
    I wouldn't worry about the light, it's not so important during cycling anyhow. Same with the murky water, your canister filter will suck that out. I'm assuming that is what the hoses are in the back anyhow. Looks good!

6. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Yea I have a Fluval 305 keeping it clean for me. I just have the rods drilled in pretty deep and they seem to be pretty sturdy. I was going to silicone them but didnt want to make it that permenent because I am still not sure exactly what kind of coral and fish I want. I think I only drilled like 6 different pieces, the rest just seemed to fit perfectly. And I am glad you like it. Do you think this rock set up will be able to accomidate alot of coral and fish. I tried to make as many caves and holes as possible so the fish can play and hide.

7. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Hear are some better pics.
    Hear is the color of my sand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really like this cave in the center
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Also, I made the mistake of not weighing out how much rock I put in. Does it look like I have enough to sustain a reef? I will also have a 10G refuge.

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

That is 100% pure petco rock. It's not from Fiji.
    Break off a piece of the red rock with some pliers, and you'll see it's solid grey cement with a red coating of paint. They're all shaped like bagels.
    It's heavy and non-porous.
    It's the surface area that counts though, and it will provide a place for bacteria to grow.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

ill admit the perfect holes seem suspicious my rock had none of those.
    the holes are useful though i would put those rocks more at bottom. so they form more of a cave. the fish will use them that way. right now they won't really beable to hide in them since there kinda a arch.

i would add some more rock 10-20 lbs worth. it can be base rock.

12. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

It does seem strange, but when I drilled the rock it was red atleast an inch threw. And I broke a piece in half and it was red the whole way threw. It has alot of life on it. I have even seen a few feather dusters.