Got some new Fiji rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Infantry1327, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

So I got about 30 lbs of live rock last week. I have been keeping it in a 29G tank in my garage for the last week curing. Finally decided to move it to my 40G display tank today. Hear are a few pics of some of the pieces.

These 2 pics where taken before I cured them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is alot of really pretty purples. There looks to be alot of life on it. There are also some orange spots. Anyone know what the orange is?
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

More than likely the orange is an encrusting sponge, if it is, and if it survives that's a heck of a hitchhiker. It'll spread over time and is a natural filter. And it'll keep being orange! :)

4. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Nice rock! Where did you get it from? I need about 50lbs more myself.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Those red spots I believe may be coraline that is dying. I had the same spots on my rock after I cured it. They go away eventually.

6. Karen

Karen Flamingo Tongue

Yes, I believe the orange is a type of sponge as well. Nice rocks!! Lots of life..

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I have some orange encrusting sponge on one of my rocks as well. Adds a nice bit of color, it does spread nicely.

8. Click Here!

9. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Thanks for all the kind words. I got a bit more today. I got it from Petco. I work there and it wasn't doing well, so I took it home and cured it properly. I just finished re-aquascaping my tank so the water is a little cloudy for pics. But I will snap some pic's later and post them.

Thanks again

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

that rock will turn out beautifully i got rock like that when i started. probably the best rock i have ever bought

11. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

hear are a few more pics of my rock. I aquascaped them twice last night, but I am still not satisfied. So I am going to try one more time tomarro and then I will throw up some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hear is the tank with the water all cloudy. Its black because I used some 10 lbs of black sand and 30 pounds of white sand to kind of give it a white marble look. By the way, the stand it is on isnt done yet. I still have to add the crown molding. But it is on wheels, so I can easily move it out so i can get behind the tank and install my 29G sump/refuge.
    [​IMG]

12. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Is that a Clear-For-Life tank? Do yo uhave it drilled for under tank sump? I'm surprised that casters were put on the stand. I would be scared that the weight would break them. Looks like it's gonna be very nice, congrats!