Got kalk ?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NUGIO, Feb 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Update.
    Tank tested again today and everything is the same as last post above.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Nugio did you get the M. Dew tank?
    My update:
    Calcium 400 to day but did not use the kalk last night and did a 10 gallon water change yesterday. Alk at 11.2 DKH and SG 1.025

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

how often do u add kalk. what kind do u use. Is kent marine kalk good. do u have to drip it.

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Well I finally got it going. I got 30g soda drum it smells like it had Dr. Pepper in it.I drilled the hole and put a 1/4 fitting on it about an inch from the bottom. Then I used a Kent float valve near the top for filling.

6. NUGIO

I added Turbo calcium per the solution on the the link you gave. I tested befor adding it to my top off water in this drum here. CA 330ppm alk 10.6.
    Once i get to my desired CA (400+) then i will either dose kalk or a two part additive.depending on the alk results

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=NUGIO link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=30#43 date=03/20/04 at 22:43:10]Well I finally got it going. I got 30g soda drum it smells like it had Dr. Pepper in it.I drilled the hole and put a 1/4 fitting on it about an inch from the bottom. Then I used a Kent float valve near the top for filling.[/quote]

;D Cool.... Did they give it to you?
    30 x 8 = 240 pounds right? will your shelfs hold that much weight?

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=NUGIO link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=30#44 date=03/20/04 at 22:44:36]I added Turbo calcium per the solution on the the link you gave. I tested befor adding it to my top off water in this drum here. CA 330ppm alk 10.6.
    Once i get to my desired CA (400+) then i will either dose kalk or a two part additive.depending on the alk results[/quote]

You are adding it to the drum? Are you doing a 30 gallon drip system?
    I would add it directly to the sump and re test in 1 hour. And add it every 6 to 8 hours to gradually get it to 450. If still low you can drip the Kalk now and still use the Turbo but test it before adding it as the kalk may have raised it already. Keep doing your alk supplements on the same schedule you have now.

When first starting my Cal went up to 500 so I slowed the drip to 1 drip every 3 seconds (light mix) and keep the alk schedule and everything balanced in 3 days. Calcium for me is 420 and alk is 11.0 and I just started the drip again last night but have not tested yet today.

10. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

how did u figure 1 drip per 3 secs.

11. NUGIO

Yeah I added to the drum so its a little faster than a drip line. It works off the sump float valve for topoff.
    The instructions for situation #3 were I belive to add the turbo only untill youve moved across the lines into the red square (target) then resume with balanced additives CA/ALK. Right now im not adding any ALK

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=NUGIO link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=45#48 date=03/21/04 at 12:34:45]Yeah I added to the drum so its a little faster than a drip line. It works off the sump float valve for topoff.
    The instructions for situation #3 were  I belive to add the turbo only untill youve moved across the lines into the red square (target) then resume with balanced additives CA/ALK. Right now im not adding any ALK[/quote]
    What ever works for ya.
    But how much evaporation do you have on your tank?
    not 30 gallons a day I hope. This is why you add directly to the sump. retest before you add more.

1 drip per 3 seconds would make 1000 ml drip almost in 1 day as I am trying to find the happy medium. to keep calcium at 450. 1 drip per second made the tank jump to 500 on the calcium. 1 drip per 5 seconds and is go a little low at 400 to 420. So hoping 1 per 3 seconds is the lucky number.