Got kalk ?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NUGIO, Feb 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Salt water for water changes only I agree. Good clean water for top off as suggested above.

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Im already doing the fresh water top off automaticly from the RO unit with a float valve. This idea was only a thought on adding kalk to the system so the salinity would not be affected by doubling the FW ie: water from dosing kalk and from auto top off.
    I was going to do it only as a way to administer the kalk

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=NUGIO link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=15#21 date=03/03/04 at 00:08:53]Im already doing the fresh water top off automatic from the RO unit with a float valve. This idea was only a thought on adding kalk to the system so the salinity would not be affected by doubling the FW ie: water from dosing kalk and from auto top off.
    I was going to do it only as a way to administer the kalk[/quote]

Dam We got the smack down.... but we are up again... we give Graig a forearm and he goes head first into the chairs. Phil get a one two and drops to his knees... LOL and I don't like pro wrestling...

All is good NUG I knew what ya meant as it was plain english.>>> LOL
    [quote author=NUGIO link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=15#17 date=03/01/04 at 20:25:57]
    Could I use salt water for my kalk dosing so it dosent affect the salinity from the auto top off?[/quote]
    Guess it would depend on what the SG was in the tank at the time of adding Kalk.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I recommend that anyone reading this thread prints out the link that Nautilus provided. It's one of my favorite links and provides a lot of insight into tank chemistry.

6. NUGIO

I thought it was me maybe not making myself clear :p

I think Im going to use a 2 part additive so there'll be less headaches with SPG.

Side note: Coralline seems to be finally taking a hold on PHs and on the lace rock. So CA it must not be too far from target for my tank.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Nug,
    If the SG dose go up all you have to do is take out some saltwater and put in fresh RO to replace it.
    Don't think adding or mixing the Kalk in salt water would prove to help or hinder you but I would just use RO/DI to mix it up.

8. Click Here!

9. NUGIO

Im going to rethink my topoff and kalk dosing this weekend.
    I dont like the fact that the RO unit kicks on several times a day (more than 10x) due to the sensitivity of the float valve in the sump.goes on when it senses even a 1/4" drop or less.
    So im going to go with a 20-30 g resivor in the garage fed by the RO unit and then gravity fed to the sump where it came from the unit.
    Im doing this to prolong the life of the DI. cause ive read that constant on/off lets impurities through the membrane upon start up of the RO unit.This way it will make more water at once and less often.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Nug,
    OK if you go with a reservoir or plastic trash can 2 things to do. 1. Make sure it is FOOD Grade if not you will contaminates from the plastic. 2. make sure your container has a LID as exposure to the air will sky rocket the TDS meter.

How will this gravity feed?
    And yes it is better to have a storage container for the water.

11. NUGIO

Any thoughts to where I could get a food grade container? Does HD or lowes carry them?
    Im going to put the container on a tall industrial shelf Ive got in the garage.Its about 6 feet high. using the same line thats going to the sump now, tap into the water bin

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Pepsi Co have 55 gallon containers for soda pop etc... that they pay people to pick up and haul away. Buddy said he called them and they gave him 2 for free.
    He also has them 6 feet in the air in his garage. He had to clean the Mt.Dew out of them which took some time but they work great.