Got kalk ?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NUGIO, Feb 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

There is a way to add more kalk and you would add vinegar to the kalk which will allow you to saturate the water more but I have never done this. Never had a reason too.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=NUGIO link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=0#9 date=02/27/04 at 19:16:51]Where can i get a drip line? Someone got a pic of one.
    Is it a medical supply type IV bag?
    Im interested in your mod too Matt seeing as this is the way im probably going to administer the kalk because i dont have any more room under the tank for a large container.[/quote]

Any reason you are going the B-Ionic Calcium route that Nautilus uses? The reason I suggested it is because you already have your evap automated. If you drip too, it will mess with your evap float setup. YOu know what I mean?

4. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

No I dont know what you mean HELP ! unless you mean that it may clog the float leaving it open.
    if its going to mess with the auto topoff then ill buy what i need. its soon enough to try another way.
    what do you suggest? ive got kent kalk mix now

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You are already adding freshwater with your RO setup on the float switch.

To add kalk, you have to mix it with freshwater first then drip or add with a float. So this is adding more freshwater than you need because your RO is taking care of your evap needs. ---- SO, you will be diluting your salinity.

Ask Naut what he uses, I think it's B-Ionic and something else... whatever it is, it is added directly to the tank, so your salinity will be fine. ;) :)

6. NUGIO

Ahhhh gotcha Matt then ill try what Naut uses

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Nugio, I use 2 part CalxMax by Warner Marine.
    You add this every other day.
    [​IMG]

B-Ionic 2 part is added everyday and a tad cheaper but you have to use more so it will cost you more in the long run.
    You hear more about B-Ionic the most of the others (4 or 5 different companies make a 2 parter) and I have never heard anything bad about either additive and know they use top grade chemicals so you don't have to worry about that.
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I drip Kalk one drip per second directly into the sump area.
    I just started doing this today so this rate may change some.
    I have a Kent 1000 ml which is around 1/2 gallon per say.
    I will have to do some checking during the day to see how much is being used. Thanks G I had a pH test meter and don't have to look at those test kits anymore.
    You do know most males are color blind Reds and Greens. Most test kits are greenish blue which does not help me for sure.

10. NUGIO

NAUT DID YOU SWITCH FROM A 2 PARTER TO DRIPPING KALK?
    How come?

Another ? could I use salt water for my kalk dosing so it dosent affect the salinity from the auto top off?

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Nug, I just started and also did a small water change so will need to re-test tonight to see where I am at.
    Currently I am at 440 calcium and 13 DKH and 8.3 pH which is pretty much where I was before except the pH was 8.2 so if needed I will add it tonight. Oh my SG is 1.025 exactly...I love my new refractometer.

The Kalk directions say to use RO water I think. I would not know for sure if you could mix with salt water.

12. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

DON'T USE SALTWATER FOR TOP OFF! Top off water should be freshwater preferably ro or rodi. Salt doesn't evap like water does so if you use saltwater instead of fresh you will increase salinity gradually. the only time you add saltwater is to raise salinity or after water changes.