Got kalk ?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NUGIO, Feb 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=135#139 date=04/04/04 at 17:39:38]Also remember that your tank may say it is (like mine) 80 gallons but after you have LR and LS and the glass thickness (without sump) I would be looking at around 70 to 72 gallons of water volume. so I would need to re-calculate those figures above.[/quote]

That's a good point.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=135#140 date=04/04/04 at 17:44:57]

That's a good point.
    [/quote]

Matt you need some Karma. You wre at 47 to long ::)
    So here ya go..... :p

4. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thats a good idea on the drain Phil ,it may be in my future.

5. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

so what if the alk is not high enough but the calcium is.

6. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

LOL awee come on now I was enjoying the arguement, hehe Hmmm let me see if I can stir it up again ;D.

Dave he has got ya on this one buddy, your salinity takes a hit every minute of every day even if you dont have any evaporation. In your line of thinking you are correct about no salt is being removed, But what is being removed???? and the removal of that is going to form a concentration of the various elements that make up salt water. also when the concetration of the elements of saltwater occur it sets off all sorts of percipation, and once that occurs you dont get those individual elements back, they are taken out of solution or bound up by Ionic pairing.
    Ok so go back to your coners and come out swinging boys, lol just joking

Mike

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=135#143 date=04/04/04 at 19:58:12]so what if the alk is not high enough but the calcium is.[/quote]

Use the alk calculator and and more of that supplement.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

No Karma for you in the near future Mojoman :D

10. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

rofl, I knew I would end up in the dog house, lol

Mike

11. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Update Dave : I tested CA/ALK Sunday CA=380 the turbo worked as suggested the alk was 2.8.I finally was able to get the ESV 2 part (everyone was out) added per calculator only 1/3 of dosage for each Mon morn CA=410ppm ALK 3.2. add another third to nite ,see what we get in the morn.
    Once levels get to desired ppms would it be easier to maintain w/kalk or keep using 2 part?

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Great to see you are getting the levels up. your alk is almost 9 dkh so you are so close to 11 dkh you can smell it. After you start your kalk do some daily tests to see if it will stabilize as all tanks are different.
    I have not been dripping Kalk 24/7 so I am doing all 3
    and testing before adding. forgot to mix up and load the kalk aqua doser late night because of the game (b-ball).
    The kalk and the CalxMax seem to be working very well together. I have only been dripping the 1 quart a day but missing 1 Day is no big deal. I have found that I do not need as much Calxmax as I use too.
    My levels are right on at least on Sunday. Will test tonight again.