Got kalk ?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NUGIO, Feb 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

hottie theyer hashing something theyll get to your ?? soon

Matt i see your point thats what im worried about . i have a 30 g topoff resv that if it malf which does happen Dave it would change the SPG salinity and carpet!
    If the float valve was closed and it was dripping kalk at a steady pace SPG would drop

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They are both forms of calcium.  Turbo calcium is calcium chloride and Kalk is calcium hydroxide.  Kalk doses your calcium and alkalinity in a balanced manner while turbo calcium strictly affects calcium (which means you also likely have to dose something for your alkalinity).

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

4. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey Nugio I think the answer to that is setting the drip rate to the evap rate like Dave does That way even if the top off float stops the drip rate stays the same and no problem, If the drip rate increases there may be trouble but the work around for that could be a second float valve for the kalk instead of a drip set the kalk valve at a different level and hope that works. Unfortunately as most of us can attest you cant avoid the flood risk completely I would say the best thing would be some form of containment in the sump like a bulk head installed at a certain height in the sump that goes to a plumbing drain in the house if the water goes to high it flows into a drain instead of the floor.

5. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

do u have to drip turbo calcium. which is better to u. Does turbo calcium raise the calcium fast.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=120#133 date=04/04/04 at 13:09:38]do u have to drip turbo calcium. which is better to u. Does turbo calcium raise the calcium fast. [/quote]

INWALL75 said=They are both forms of calcium. Turbo calcium is calcium chloride and Kalk is calcium hydroxide. Kalk doses your calcium and alkalinity in a balanced manner while turbo calcium strictly affects calcium (which means you also likely have to dose something for your alkalinity).

No Turbo Calcium is a powder that you mix with ro water and then add to your sump.
    You test the calcium in your tank first then go to this calculator and see how much you need to add.
    link= http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

Here is a snap shot of the calculator

Attached Files:

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

So if we were looking at my tank this is what I would do below in the snap shot.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the reminder Naut, I need to get some more calculators here, that one is especially cool.

10. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

ok maybe I will use turbo calcium to get my calcium up and then start using kalk or superbufferKbh.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

1. enter in the gallon size at the top.
    2. enter in your current test results. for this we will say may calcium is 380.
    3. enter in the desired calcium level. Here we are wanting to get the calcium higher and most want it to be 450.
    4. Click calculate.
    5. So this tells me to add 58 grams or around 11 tsp.
    6. Read the warnings at the bottom as you should NEVER and I mean NEVER add this much calcium at one time.
    7. So I would break up the 11 tsp by 3 which equals around 2.5 per day.
    8. Add 2.5 tsp to RO water and mix it up really well. I would then add this to my sump area. You would slowly- SLOWLY add it to you filter area and thinking about your system you may want to DRIP it in.
    9. The next day test again and re-calculate using the calculator LINK.
    10. once my Calcium was at 450 and my alk was 11 DKH then I would stop adjustments and go totally with the KALK drip.
    11. When doing Kalk drip you MUST test every day to see is you are dripping to fast or not enough. Once you have the drip rate down and the calcium is at 450 and alk is 11 DKH then you are set.

ANYONE here did I leave anything out?

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Also remember that your tank may say it is (like mine) 80 gallons but after you have LR and LS and the glass thickness (without sump) I would be looking at around 70 to 72 gallons of water volume. so I would need to re-calculate those figures above.