Got kalk ?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NUGIO, Feb 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

what's better kalk or turbo calcium by Kent.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

is the 2.5 gal. aquadose also drip. I saw the pic and it looks too big to hang.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=105#119 date=04/03/04 at 18:51:09]
    OK even if not replacing the water you will still have the same amount of salt in the water because IT DOES NOT EVAPORATE. No salt removal and your salinity or SG stays the same or goes up a hair. But not enough to see on a fratometer.[/quote]

Good grief Naut, if you go out of town for a week and don't have a drip going or float switch - ANY freshwater going in, the SG will change by more than a hair.

I can't explain it any better than I have in the last few posts. You are back to total salt again and forgetting that my example has a week's worth of evap - WITHOUT water being replaced.
    ::)

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Good grief Matt I think I understand the scenario here.
    post up some facts so I can understand your issue more.
    You are not even trying to see what I am saying.
    The salinity or salt is the same if in a 20 gallon tank and 10 gallons of evap since you have not added salt. No salt added then no change.
    You have less water but that does not mean you have more salt.
    Do a test this week in a bucket or something and post daily refractometer readings.

Are you saying the decrease in water will raise or lower the SG?

6. hottielover14

hello will some one answer me.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=120#120 date=04/03/04 at 18:54:26]what's better kalk or turbo calcium by Kent.[/quote]

You can't compare the 2 as they are 2 different things.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=120#121 date=04/03/04 at 19:26:06]is the 2.5 gal. aquadose also drip. I saw the pic and it looks too big to hang.[/quote]

All Kent aquadosers are drip like an IV unit the hospital drips into your arm.

10. hottielover14

why are kalk and turbo calcium 2 different things. which would u prefer.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Water;num=1077872753;start=120#123 date=04/03/04 at 19:44:36]Are you saying the decrease in water will raise or lower the SG?[/quote]

The decrease in water caused by evaporation will raise the SG. Or the raising of water caused by faulty switch or dripping too fast will lower SG. That's all I am saying. ;D

12. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok let me put on my referee stripes here;
    Matt is correct is tank is evaped for a week sg goes up and when fresh water is then added sg goes down so when fresh water is added after a week the chnage is dramatic and dramatic = BAD!
    Now Dave is correct in the same scenario that the begining and the end sg should be close to the same.
    Now with both said the disclaimer is "in a perfect world" because things like salt creep, inaccurate reads of hydrometer because of air bubbles/top off water being different temp etc has effect also.