Good Fixture?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Xiztence, Apr 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I have a Coralife fixture. Decent, but not cheap... not the best either.

Just some thoughts.

I have 2x250w MH w/ 2x96w PC. Power compacts are not the end of the world. T5s are better, but on a 48" fixture you will get 2x54w probably. Pool or pond.

MHs do not equal chiller. I took mine of my 90g.... don't need it.

Price is going to determine reflectors.... does not matter to save a bunch of money and get crappy reflectors and loose some of that high power light you bought and are paying to run.

2x250w MH is a lot of light..... nothing is written that you have to run them 12 hours a day. I run mine for 6 hours. Things are growing fine.

T5 or MH is a whole other discussion. I like my MH, and yes T5 is good.

2. Click Here!

3. Kovu

Kovu Fire Worm

Marineandreef have some great deals on some hamilton fixtures got mine at a pretty good price.

4. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

If you're flexible on MH, I'd spend the same $$ on a good T5 fixture (or retro kit), you'll be able to keep softies, LPS, most SPS and clams...using less watts, without the added heat of MH and need of a chiller, and your bulbs will last longer...if you could live without the so-call "shimmering effect" of MH, check out the TEK T5 or Aquactinics constellation fixtures, or for a little more $$ the ATI Power module. Or for a little less $$ checkout the NOVA Extreme PRO fixture.