Good and bad

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ShawnsTank, Jan 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

On my rocks i have a lot of coraline growth but also a lot of green algea on the rocks and brown on the glass/sand. anyone know how to get rid of this? i thought this was pretty cool, my hermits got coraline on his shell ;D

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

You have some algae, but it's really not bad at all, at least what I can see from the pics. The stuff on the sand looks like diatoms or the beginning of cyno. You can try siphoning it out when you do a water change, that has worked well for me. As long as you keep your parameters in check (phosphate and nitrate) you shouldnt' experience any major problems.

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well coraline is good but sometimes it gets annoying when it gets on the front glass..

how old is your tank? the algae on your substrate should be temporal and after it uses all its resources it should die off eventually if im correct.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The brown is diatoms. A phosphate remover should help because they usually remove silicates which the diatoms like. Some of the green on the rock looks like coralline algae some regular algae. Check your params and try to keep them near zero for nitrate and phosphates to keep the algae down. Do you use tap water? If you do getting a ro/di unit will definitely help.

6. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

yeah i use softened tapwater right now. waiting for my cousin to get his RO/DI so he can give me his for cheap. My tanks about 4 months old, with livestock in it about 2. yeah next water change get that outta there