Gonna start a seahorse tank! Holy babies everywhere!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by cosmo, Sep 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

hmm, the first is better, but heres the problem I see with both, although mine is 5g, I think a 4G is prob ideal as it bunches the food and horses closer. Also the second one is an all in one power source so you'll have to manually turn on and off the lights every day, and from what I read, horses like a pretty standard lighting schedule; I'd consider finding a 4-5 G with a seperate LED light source, or do this:
    24 LED Aquarium Blue Linear Strip Car Motorcycl Light Fish Tank Waterproof Lamp | eBay
    for the moonlights and then 2 of the same kind but in white, 1 will be for sun rise and sunset, the other for daytime! So you'll run the blues 24/7, turn one white on for 14 hours a day, and the other on for 12 hours a day, theres your light, all 3 of those will cost about $9, then you'll need the DC power cords(read the led lights you choose for what power, but those should be free if you keep old power cords like i do or about $4 each if bought so $12, and then 2 cheap timers from Lowes $5 each so $10, nice controllable led light for $30 or less;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. GAFish

GAFish Plankton

Congrats on the horses! Nice set ups!

How are they coming?

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ok, the babies have slowed down, and I'm having a cyano issue, which may be related, but its not that hard.

6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Glad to here things are still going well other than the cyano,which should be a somewhat easy enough fix in that small of a tank.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah, its easy to clean up, only prob is, because of the horses it has to stay low flow, its about that time for a bloom so hopefully it runs its course.

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I here ya,got the "new tank syndrome" blues still goin on myself.But one thing we do know,with proper maintenance these phases will pass.Keep up the good work bro.

1 person likes this.
  10. GAFish

GAFish Plankton

Hopefully you get it corrected shortly!

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Your cyano may get better when I take some of them off your hands this weekend. Haha. Can't wait to get my new seahorses.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

good deal, can't wait to get my mantis shrimp;)