Gonna make my own sump. Need advice

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by browntrout, May 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Ok like the title says. I have a 75g tank with a HOB skimmer, and I would like to make a sump/refuge for this setup. Only one problem IM A NOOB. I have some 3/8 thick acrylic in my shop and Im gonna use my laser to cut it out. What size should I make it? Do I need to have any holes in it? Or should I just build it like a 20g rectangle and glue in a seperation wall for the fuge? Any Ideas?

Just for kicks. Here are some pics of my laser cutting some signs. I can cut up to 1" acrylic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Ok so this is my basic understanding of how a sump work

[​IMG]

Few questions, how do I keep the water going from the DT to the sump? Siphon pump etc...? are the diviers right? does general water flow keep the water heading towards the refuge then to the pump back up? I made this drawing this is what's in my head, I can also put my heater in the sump section. I am getting a chiller this week do I need to plumb into that drawing somehow? Any help

4. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Going on advice given by other websites, for 3/8 acrylic; the height should not exceed 12"-18" see website http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_acrylic_aquarium.php The length and width will depend on how much space you have below or where ever you want the refugium/sump to be housed. IMO a rectangular tank is better than a square shaped tank, with partitions for refugium (macro algae sand and live rock) and partitions for filtration and aquarium equipment e.g. heater, protein skimmer etc.
    IMO No, but it depends what you want to do with the sump/refugium, An auto top up system may require a hole in the side for a float valve to top up with RO water IME this is the best system, the other alternative is to use float valves which I have found can fail and cause a lot of problems. It is up to you, research as much as possible is the key.
    Sounds good to me, as mentioned it depends on how much space you have for a fuge.

You would need some sort of overflow box or a drilled tank, see this link for more info: Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums there are many DIY options for an overflow box or you can buy a commercial one but they can be expensive, if you need more help with a DIY overflow PM me I use two to connect my two tanks to my sump that are fairly cheap and easy to build.
    IMO your on the right tracks, see the link above on sumps, I like your baffle idea after the skimmer to get rid of any bubbles before it enters the fuge.
    yes, with an overflow box set up correctly and correct (gph)pump in your fuge, then as the water is pumped to your display tank and overflows into your overflow box gravity sends back it back down to your sump/fuge.
    You are on the right track, I have little experience with chillers but am sure it is easy enough to plumb into your set up. A heater and any other equipment can and should IMO be placed into your sump. As for heaters I would go for one that has all the safety features. As your sump is made of acrylic I would go for a Rena smart heater because the heating element is internal, just incase your sump runs dry for any reason the heater won't burn through your plastic. Plus it turns itself off when it runs dry which means it won't burn itself out. Another heater which turns itself off if it runs dry is a visitherm stealth heater.

Phil