Goniopora Do you feed them?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by tosapaul, Oct 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

I have had two ORA red and green goniopora for over five years and have fragged the red one twice. I don't feed them. Have tried on occasion several times with different types of food and never saw a feeding response. ORA says they never feed them and never tried. I know there are a lot of different types but was curious as to what the norm was.

Paul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

4. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

Did not want to hijack a thread or p---- anyone else off. Were good right?

Paul

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Paul those are beautiful Goniopora. I see smaller colonies at the bases of the red one. I know the thread topic is feeding but can you speak to those small colonies a bit please.

7. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

Thanks. I have fragged it twice twice and have 8 on plugs and two floaters. Not sure where the floaters came from,

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

so when you fragged it twice, you got more than one frag? or are the others floaters that you glued to a frag plug?

10. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

I got 4 and 5 frags when i did it, The floaters could be from fraging or the colony is dropping babies.

11. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

After seeing a picture of Swisswiss purple goniopora I picked one up last week and some goniopower. I did not get any kind of feeding response from my ORA green and red gonis but was surprised to see what looked like a feeding response from my purple one. On most if not all of the videos I have watched when people are feeding goniporas it seemed to me the polyp contractions were more defensive than anything else.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You might be right about that point. I have also seen them swell up to the size of base ball or larger when feed, it's an obvious uptake of surrounding fluids that makes them swell up like that.
    Your Goniopora are beautiful, reproducing and thriving that is all that maters.