goldfish problems

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by Ellie, Jun 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ellie

Ellie Plankton

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has any advice for me about a black moore with a fungus-like infection?

About 6 months ago my goldfish got these white/grey cottony looking spots on his body and on his gill covers. I treated him with antifungal medication (Aquarium science fungus and fin rot), and it seemed to go well and the lesions disappeared.

Now the spots are back again but only on his head and gill covers, and I am treating him again with the same stuff but it does not seem to be working as well.

His behaviour is quite normal and hes very alert (eating, foraging in pebbles, swimming around etc), but he still has these spots of fungus looking stuff. None of the other fish that were in the tank with him have any signs of disease at all, and the fish himself seems fine except for the cottony type spots on him.

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking if it was columnaris he would probably not survive this long and the other fish would probably have it as well. He had been quarantined in the hospital tank for 3 days now with the medication in the water. I will try to get some good pics, its hard to get him to stay still :)

2. Click Here!

3. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

if anti fungial does not make an improvement, then try anti bacterial treatments.

4. Ellie

Ellie Plankton

thanks,
    it cleared up with a malachite green medication but there seems to be a bit of bottom sitting going on..he props himself up on his pectoral fins and tail fin (like a tripod :))

anyone had bottom sitting goldfish or think i should do something about this?

he seems fine mostly and perks up when i go near the tank...the lfs said maybe its flukes, but im hesitant to treat him without being sure..i might be getting paranoid here but I think one of the smaller black moores might be doing the same now... or maybe they're just lazy fish :)

its a 180 gallon tank with 2 small fantails, 2 small black moors + 1 8inch black moor and 4 bristlenose cf + a clutch of baby cf
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrites: 0ppm
    Nitrates: 10ppm
    pH: 7
    Temperature: 21C
    Water change 25% weekly