Goldfish in a SW tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Jan 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

As opposed to keeping a peaceful reef tank, where the fish are caught in the ocean and ground up into flakes or pellets before you feed them?

Same amount of cruelty it just takes place in a different location.

The lack of nutrition in goldfish makes it some what different though I will admit, but feeding live is no more cruel than feeding any meat based food IMO.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Actually, a lot of freshwater fish are high in thiaminase which will strip a SW fish of their vitamin B. Carps ( like goldfish) are loaded with this.

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i previously had a predator tank before my reef and it had a clown niger and picasso trigger a snowflake eel a koran angel alionfish and a grouper, it was 210 gallons and i would occasionally feed them live shrimp crabs or chromises, not because im sick in the head and enjoy that stuf but specifically so the fish for once had to work for there food and it wasnt just handed to them. it keeps them active.

[​IMG]

5. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I find that a lot different than feeding a sw fish a fw organism. I used to have turtles that I would feed live insects and fish because it was healthy for them to work for their food and keep their instincts in tack. Was it the most humane was to treat the feeders? No but whats different between me doing that with my turtles who are in my home then them doing it in the wild??? I made sure the feeder fish were kept healthy and fed a proper diet as well. Nature can be more cruel then we sometimes think it can be.

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i forgot to state all the organisms i used to feed were specifically sold as feeders. unfortunately i do not have that tank any longer

7. PetMother

I don't have my turtles either. They were rehabilitated and released in the lake that is near our house.

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

my predator tank was sold and i used the money to buy the tanks i have now, the nano and the 40 gallon reef. the reefs are more exciting imo

10. PetMother

They are. Once they are established they turning to a mini ecosystem and I love watching them.

11. luspin

luspin Plankton

I have a 30 gallon freshwater right now. One of my favourite fish died and now I am thinking of starting a saltwater tank. I have always loved and wanted a saltwater tank. I have just heard that they are very time-consuming and expensive.

-------------

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
  12. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I think live feeding isnt wrong when you appropriate the natural food for your predators IMO but also I dont think gold fish in a SW tank is a perticuarly "good idea" but then again I live in south georgia and have seen people use gold fish as bass bait so it is ehat it is.