Gold Tear Drop Squamosa

Discussion in 'Clams' started by xmetalfan99, Feb 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. slocal

slocal Doot!

I'm not doubting your experience, but the scutes don't seem close enough and look too deep for a maxima. Do you have a pic of the shell?

Great looking mantle, btw.

2. Click Here!

3. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Maxima IMHO. Nice clam. Can be kept under a little lower light conditions than the other Maximas due to its darker mantle colors.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm going to say that it's a maxima as well.

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

I'd still like to see the shell to make a better guess. The OP said the byssal opening was rather narrow and maximas have a wider opening.

Great Tridacna clam ID article by one of the most reliable clam-perts on the net.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/509712-post1.html

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

It is not as narrow as the squamosa shell they show. I was comparing it to my crocea.

My lighting is 6 39 watt t5ho tek light fixture. Bulbs include: 3 ATI aquablue specials, 2 Geisemann blue +, and 1 ATI procolor. Tank is 20" deep and placement is on the sand. According to other readings I have about 1300 PAR going into my tank.

I am not worried about not having enough light. I just like having things identified properly. From photos and the thread you posted I have to agree with the identification of a maxima. I will try to get better photos soon.

Thank you for the help.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Well, I just went to go take good photos of the shell and bissal area. The clam has attached itself to the bottom of my tank. I will try to take photos of the rest of the shell when the lights are on.

8. Click Here!

9. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Ive had your clams twin for 3 years now.

[​IMG]

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I wanted a squamosa, but the maxima will do just fine. I love the blue edging of the clam on the left (i believe squamosa). What lighting do you use and how tall is your tank?

11. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Derasa on the left, Maxima on right. Both have done Ok on the substrate in a 24" deep tank lighted with Suntek T5 fixture. If you want to know bulb selection and par values I can give them to you. Colors are much better than those pics. Got a couple Croceas high in the tank but look crappy cause the viewing angle stinks. Clams are best viewed top down but to keep the higher light demanding clams I need to keep them higher in my tank. I have had 6 clams in that tank for 3 years now. The Squaggie is pushing 13" long now. Keep the Ca up! I love the clams and suspect someday thats all I will collect. Love the colors and patterns and so easy to care for once the tank matures.

[​IMG]

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I might build a Ca reactor just because of my clams. I also love clams and feel that you can never have to many. My crocea is also close to the surface. Looks like a blue and purple mass from the front, but absolutely amazing from the top.

[​IMG]