Goinopora Chemical Sting

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by tosapaul, Nov 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

I added a purple goniopora 3 or 4 weeks ago to my tank. I have several ORA gonioporas for years without any problems. Two days after I added the purple one I lost a fairly large healthy birdsnest. It took about 3 or four days to go - it was very fast. A couple of days ago I lost a stylo that was right above it and it went really fast. The owner of the LFS (whom I trust a lot) thought it might be a chemical reaction. All my other corals are looking good and all the tank parameters have been good for years. Does the chemical reaction sound reasonable to you guys?

Thanks

Paul

Just an after thought. I fragged my red goni and when I put the new frags back in the tank I had a really bad reaction. A lot of my corals got really stressed and several changed colors. I assume that was chemical reaction.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am more inclined to think you introduced some type of pathogen be it viral or bacterial, even Protozoa. You did not mention water chemistry, since the corals that died were sps I would also investigate that if you have not already.