Going to start a POD farm

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Peredhil, Jun 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't see any point in bothering with clean water for pods. They really don't care. More power to you if you want to take the time to use clean water, but it's just extra work without benefit IMO.

So you are saying, take the pods out of the pod farm via a 'screen' (a sponge when I was doing it), use that screen to put them in the DT, but don't put that screen/sponge back in the farm because it will foul the "tank"? What tank? The farm or the DT. either way, that makes no sense to me.

I think your supplier is being overly cautious with what they tell you...

2. Click Here!

3. Natertot

Natertot Plankton

I would assume that if there's something in your DT that will cause harm to a pod farm, there's a serious issue somewhere. Rotifers are the only thing I can think of that would negatively effect your pods

4. agv180

agv180 Astrea Snail

where they sell the pods?

5. DRM

DRM Astrea Snail

Reefs2Go.com has a great sale on pods right now. They're a sponsor of this forum.

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Did you end up using an air stone? I got to page 2 and then jumped to the end. HOB filters I think are pretty stable.

edit - nevermind, saw the post, shame about the fish. Still spending your time scraping coralline? :)

7. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a 10g container, and I fill it about 7g of water.. How much of the plyto should I dose? And any of the flake food will work?

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Just give the water a light green tint. As they consume the phyto, the water will clear up.

Make sure the flake food you use is high in spirulina algae. This puts the HUFA's into the pods, which is then absorbed by your fish when they eat the pods.

1 person likes this.
  10. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

I add about 5 ml (1 teaspoon, white plastic spoon. How often do I need to dosed the phyto? And how often do I need to add flake food? Thanks

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it doesn't need to be a precise science. they're not very sensitive.

12. Aaarrrggg

Aaarrrggg Plankton

Great tip about the shower poofs! I'm planning in running an unlit fuge in my new tanks sump and they'll be a perfect chaeto substitute. Thanks! :D