Going to start a POD farm

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Peredhil, Jun 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

wow i have read every post on this. hahahahah

ok im thinking about starting one but do i have to dose greenwater or just flakes

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I dosed both.

I have since lost the mandarin and no longer had a need for the farm. I took it down some time ago.

P

4. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

awwwwww i was hpoing for more info how did you lose the manderine?

5. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a Pod farm still up and running. Unfortunately it was for my Mandarin too and she jumped and I couldn't revive her :-[. I plan on getting a new one when I can find one that eats mysis shrimp again.

Anyways my setup is pretty simple.

I have a 10g tank that I put about 5 lbs of gravel from my previous tank to start it up. Personally I think pods thrive really well in gravel so having some substrate will make it harder to find them but they could spawn more with it. Also added water from my display.

I only had a few pieces of equipment in there:
    - 30watt heater, probably could go smaller but all I had as a spare.
    - small powerhead rated for 20 or less gallons.
    - no light

Had that running for a few days then I caught about a dozen pods from my display tank with some nori, threw them in there with a bottle of zoo pods from my LFS and a few months later I have a good population. I have no need to add more pods to my Display at the moment since none of my fish need pods so I never perfected a technique of catching them out of the farm though haha. I basically use a small bottle stuffed with some nori and tied to a string. Leave it in there for a few hours, then pull it out. Usually get a few dozen large ones that way.

Anyways it's not too difficult and very low maintenance, usually just do a 50% wc every 4-6 weeks with the water from my display when I'm changing that.

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I need to read this after.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

7. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

You know this site is freakin awesome you learn something every day OK so I am still waiting on my rock should be here today. So what eats these pods because i was looking at stuff the other day and they aren't cheap. and what do you feed the pods sorta missed or didn't understand. Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

lol they eat scraps of whatever they can find and every thing in you tsnk will eat them but they are part of your cuc and manderins along with a few other them fish eat them and nothing else

10. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

Thanks I now think my wife will think I have lost it. Between the money I have spent the two weeks and in a couple of months iI might set up a pod farm oh yea to the looney bin here we come.

11. agv180

agv180 Astrea Snail

i like your project, the information is truh

12. reef terry

reef terry Plankton

Do some reading on pod farms
    I have a copepod farm set up
    It was recommended by the supplier that you do not use dirty water if you are growing copepods.
    It was also recommended by the supplier that when you remove them to put in your DT do not put the screen used back into the pod tank or it will foul the tank.
    I have an air stone with slow flow on
    a cover to keep out the dust
    a thermometer to keep the temp between 70-75

In three weeks the tank should explode with pods

Amphilpods are okay when young but do eat copepods when grown.