Going to start a POD farm

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Peredhil, Jun 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I have to say my pod farm is doing amazingly well.. I took my cheato clippings from my fuge and put them in my empty 10 gal along with water from a water change about 2 weeks ago, and now I have more pods than I know what to do with.. All I do is dose a little live phyto and add some flake food and they took off.. for filtration I have an old biowheel without an internal filter, just biowheel.. Maybe after my class I can throw up a pic..

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

rad Bama! please do post a pic.

I got some chaeto today to add to my pod farm... thought they might like that... the fun part is I don't have any chaeto (or macro of any sort) hooked into my DT...

4. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

here's my set up, i don't think i've screwed anything up...

its a 5G tank with a 15 watt red bulb. i've got a little LR and LS to handle the rotten flake. a boatload of chaeto and a biowheel for movement (very minimal). i may still add an airstone but i'm not sure. after a week or two i'll drop a shower poof in as an easy means of transferring the pods
    [​IMG]

i do have a question. the chaeto has, in addition to pods, a LOT of mini brittle stars and bristleworms. as far as i know they are primarily dertivores, but will they eat pods?

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I wouldn't worry about the chaeto hitchhikers.

I've read clear tanks don't work well for pod farms... but no idea why that is... i happen to be using a green bucket so I don't even know if it's true.

I do have a hermit crab in my bucket and he cleared all the build up from the bottom of the bucket (flake food build up primarily) in less than a week. It was rather impressive.

6. Prodigy

Prodigy Astrea Snail

Awesome read i also know that the lava(eggs) from the pods is extremely healthy for corals

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

So, how is the farm doing? I just put mine together today, but don't have any pods yet. Those are coming in the beginning of next week. I went with 3 different colored shower poofs so I know which ones I dosed with last, a 5gal bucket, some water from a water change, and a small air powered filter rated for a 1-2 gal betta tank (provides minimal circulation and aeration). I just have a couple of questions. Would you add any lr or ls for natural filtration and did you weigh down your poofs or just let them float?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I have 5 lbs of LR in mine and also some sponge type filters that came with my mag 9.5 pump that they love.. Also I have a white poof but i dont think they like it.. I believe they like the darker ones better.. I dont have a filter but I made a flow device out of an air stone, pvc pipe and a 90 degree pvc joint.. works great and wont kill any pods..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh these are a week old.. I now have LR in there.. Ill post up later..

1 person likes this.
  10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it's doing alright, going to dose tonight actually.

sounds like you got this coming together well ;D

Yes, I would add LR or rubble to keep params somewhat in line. I did add a hermit crab to eat all the junk on the bottom. That has worked out beautifully.

My poofs and sponges all float. I threw in some cheato the other day... just an experiment.

11. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

any new news on the pod farm? i started mine today, robbed some very small LR that was full of amphipods, added some filter floss, and a good handfull of rubble and snail/hermit shells. the pods seem to love the pile of rubble/shells, will see how it goes.

12. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Quick subscribe.