Going to start a POD farm

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Peredhil, Jun 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MyBoyGus

MyBoyGus Flamingo Tongue

Thanks!

Thank you Peredhil for the great idea. Don't know why I didn't think of this before, as I have a 5 gallon snail tank for my Avocado Puffer.

I assume from what I read here that pods need/prefer dark? I have an extra 5 gallon plexi tank I would use.

2. Click Here!

3. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Awesome. Sounds like things are really coming along! Sounds like you're there too. I haven't started mine. I don't know, just haven't been able to with a move coming up. Goodness, not looking forward to it at all!!

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef. Glad my post brought you here ;D (I see this is your first post)

Good luck on the move whippy!

2 people like this.
  5. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

awesome idea especially getting the male mandarin instead of female i love the elongated dorsal fin on the males. anyway love the thread k+

6. marshrunner

marshrunner Plankton

Sounds like this could help me! So all I need is a 5 gal tank, heater, air pump and sponges? I have a small 3.5gal HOB fuge, but this could be a great and fun addition! Think I might do this!

7. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

Hey I've read through this and I've got a few questions. Would you change anything about the setup? Order only one kind of pod? Put them in something with less opportunity to leak odor? Do pods smell in a refugium? How often do you dose your DT with them? Should I use the shower poof in a refugium? Alright thanks in advance!

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

your welcome ;)

10. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

I meant something less open than a bucket. Maybe something with a lid. It would be in my living room if I started a pod farm and I don't want it to spread throughout the room.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I have a lot of flake food build up on the bottom of my bucket (nitrate/phosphate source).

I have a hermit crab in prison in my skimmer. He's pretty much cleaned that up super quick, so I think I'm going to drop him in my POD farm for a few days and let him clean it up some.

12. fielding12

fielding12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thank you for the detailed POD farm account. I had tried raising amphipods before but apparently (and I am embarrassed to say this) I killed them. I've taken notes from the sponge substrate and air flow tips and will try again.

Expecting success this time due to your information.