Going to start a POD farm

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Peredhil, Jun 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jbaba123

Jbaba123 Astrea Snail

What are PODS ? anyone have a pic ?

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

4. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

How is the pod farm coming along???

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

with no point of comparison really... I'd say it's coming along fine. I have shaken a sponge of pods into the DT twice now.

Honestly, there's not as many pods coming off the sponge into my water as I had imagined. They're more in the sponge than on it so they mostly stay in the sponge when I shake.

6. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Have you tried tucking the sponge into the rocks for a few hours or overnight to let them off and taking it out while the lights are still out? (so they don't get spooked and try to hide in it)

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

No I have not and that sounds like an excellent idea. I will try this next "dosing" date and update.

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Definitely!! I'm thinking about starting a farm as well, LOL. Just a bucket, airstone/pump and sponge. Doesn't sound too bad!!

10. kyanjesse

kyanjesse Flamingo Tongue

quick question. other than being food for fish, is there any other benefit from these pods? they rid your tank of detritus don't they?

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

they eat detritus. don't know if they'll "rid" the tank or not... but they do help.

plus, i enjoy watching them. that's a great benefit ;D

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

update and question.

i have been running this at about 1.024-5 at 79*. Is that optimal? Any suggestions on these?

I have done one WC in my DT so I went ahead and changed the water on this too.

I have dosed my tank now by leaving the sponge in the DT for about 15 minutes maybe 4 or 5 times.

A few hours after lights out, I have put a flashlight in one spot for 10 minutes and came back. In that spot, I could see a ton of copepods swimming around, very thick. Other than that, I do not ever see them.

Is that to be expected with copepod populations?

I can see amphipods at any point of night scurrying everywhere.

I think I might be at a good point to start looking for a small mandarin (male). I do not have a point of comparison in my experience to really know what a good population looks like. The adjectives used to express their density are rather subjective I think. I am in no mood to jump the gun on getting this fish... that is why I ask.

Thanks!