Going to buy new lighting.....need advise.

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by PharmrJohn, Oct 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Hoss there was a time I would have agreed with you totally . But with the changing lighting technology of lighting fixtures in the last couple of yrs and bulbs I'd say you need to rethink your opinion or speak from experience . Thats what I do if I would not apply what I no then I never suggest it to anyone else , I only promote what I know from experiences . Look back a few yrs ago and see what I had to say about T5's of that era.. But right now today with the UVL bulb line and if Tek had a 8 lamp 6' or a 8 lamp 3' then I'd toss these M/H's out today.. Thats from my experiences with working with lighting day in and day out on a scale you have yet to experience from VHO's to LEDs and everything in between . I have seen tanks in excess of 500 gals and 3' deep running T5's only with corals that made me drool .. And I also see grow and propagate nice rare corals daily and .. I just wish that UVL and Tek would overcome their only short coming and produce a 6 foot bulb and fixture one day :)

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Not overpriced but still over $1100, You can build a really nice set of lights for less than that in a canopy

4. savemeasunset

savemeasunset Plankton

I'm about to get the Nova Extreme Pro as well! right now I have a 40 gallon corner tank with 150 watt metal halide lighting. it does heat up the tank a lot, the shimmer effect is really cool, and I have a healthy anemone and coralline is spreading like wildfire. Still, I wanted to try something different so I'm getting T5 lighting for my new 46 gallon...can't wait to see the difference between the two! I'll post pics someday when you can really tell a difference but so far there's not much to see.. :)

5. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

Basic word of advice, if you want to get new lights go to your local LFS and ask him if she/he could get them for the same price as you see them online. If not then 1 the guy online is selling them to cheep/dosen't have a store front or drop ships them or 2 thanks for slowly killing off your LOCAL LFS.

Hmm wonder if Walt will drop ship coral or rock................Not

6. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

sorry had to vent

7. Afterdark230

Afterdark230 Flamingo Tongue

I can understand both ends, I go to my lfs and pick up my livestock, but for lighting I have found what I need on ebay, and I am building what I need. I would love to go to my lfs and say hey I need this this and this for that! and get it but it will not happen.

but for anything live I go localy cause to drop ship it to me would cost a fortune! not to mention I am in the middle of nowhere