Going to buy new lighting.....need advise.

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by PharmrJohn, Oct 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

never saw what you were keeping in the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I keep assorted softies and LPS right now. It's in my signature. I don't really have that much interest in SPS. I am just not that impressed with them. I do like clams though, so I want a lot of lumens and PAR (did I get that right?).

I have pretty much made up my mind on the subject. I am going through Tangster and am getting the T5 Tek 8x54W with the protective gear and stand. Roger is picking out the lights for me. I just want it a little on the blue side. Let's see if I can find what he suggested......

OK, he said something about the whites being more whiteblue VHO between 16 and 18K. So I will run four of those and four superactinics. I have a vague idea what that means. Right now, I run 10 and 12K for my whites in PCs. It is not near blue enough for my taste. We'll see. I trust him, so it should rock hard when I get them in. I am very psyched. I will have to go out and get a very cool clam. If, that is, my tank is mature enough and the params are right. I will read up on it.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Congrats John! You are just going to go nuts with the new world of possibilites you just opened up, aren't you? ;)

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

ok as some one that ran halides on a big tank a t5s on a small tank.
    let me give you my opinion
    halides provide a great shimmering effect, they can penetrate deeper then t5s, and are a must for large tanks, they do put out more heat then t5's.

t5 are slightly more efficent at converting energy to light, the main benefit of t5's is they lose very little intensity over the lifespan of the bulb and halide loses a good bit. t5's do create a small amount of shimmer but not near the amount of halides.

watts are watts if you get 200 watts of halide and 200 watts of t5 both use the same amount of energy and cost you the same on your power bill.
    my advice if you want the best look and don't care about bulb replacement cost, do a combo of t5 and halide

if you have a large tank above 100 gallons you need too use halides
    if you have a small tank it would prolly be better for you to get t5's.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yeah.....I am on the edge. My tank is 24 inches deep. With 1&1/2 inches of sand and 1&1/2 inches from the water to the top of the tank, that leaves about 21 inches to the bottom. Pretty much the range of T5s from my understanding. I am concerned with the heat. I have an issue with heat. I am not as concerned with the shimmer effect as I am with the color of light I can get with the T5s. So, weighing it all out, the T5s won. Pretty much hands down. It is going to be sweet. I cannot wait.

7. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

sostoudt

agree with you they make some nice setups at vary good prices

8. Click Here!

9. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

We are demoing a new fixture this month over one of our display tanks, they are not over priced and I can tell ya where to get them in your area if they pan out.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Do tell! What lights are you demo-ing? You got my curiousity.;D Luna

11. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

we are tring the aquaticlife 48" HID we saw them at the backershow and they sparked a intrest with the all in one MH, t5, lunar and timer set up. Also want to check out the new HID lamps they are basicly HQI. They should be here by the end of the week.

Also testing LED's over an acro tank, basicly a display setup so ppl will think about spending the huge amount of cash on them. :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  12. dimweb

dimweb 3reef Sponsor

the aqualife light set will be here on the 23rd I'll get some shots of em off to ya when they get in.