Going to buy new lighting.....need advise.

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by PharmrJohn, Oct 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

I agree with luna, IMO mh are the best option if you plan to add sps and clams.

2. Click Here!

3. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

HA sps and clams do just as well under t5 with individual reflectors. Hands down t5 are far superior to mh, in every aspect. FACT

1 person likes this.
  4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Food for thought:

The Nova Extreme (4 bulb versions) now come with TRUE individual reflectors. They are called SLR Nova Extremes. Two of those (8 bulbs total) would cost a hell of a lot less than the Aquatinics T5. Also a lot less than the Maristar MH. Worth checking out on DrsFosterSmith.com and on Current's own website.

Note:

They are 8 inches wide, so, two of them should fit on top of your tank as they would only be 16 inches wide (total).

1 person likes this.
  5. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

i think i have posted this photo a million and one times by now but like Antonym518 said...
    T5HO's
    [​IMG]
    Boom!

2 people like this.
  6. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

That is quite impressive. With a tank looking like that with T5's why get MH.

7. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Im surprised with such the hate directed at mh. Sky high electric bill? Where do u people live? i ran the 8 bulb tek fixture and uped my wattage with the mh/t5 combo by a 176 watts and my electric bill was lucky to see a 10-15 dollar a month increase. How could u not like shimmering? The sun makes the ocean shimmer, how much more natural can it get? Bad color? Time to head to the eye doctor...NOt much of a heat difference either, i have had no issues...not like i didnt have to have a fan when i ran the t5's, try touching the reflectors and bulbs when them t5's heat up.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The bottom line with choosing a lighting fixture depends on 3 factors;

1. Personal Pref.
    2. What ever you can afford
    3. The kind of corals you plan to keep.

Luna

10. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

nice tank. Luna is right. Add that mh SUCK!!!!!

11. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

I dont know why haha! I know that it is why i got rid of my metal halide t5 combo.

12. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Let us know what you decide, I think there has been a ton of facts and some myth thrown out here as well lol

I think you should go all submerged powercompact though with a nice grounding wire