Going throuh DI cartridge quick.

Discussion in 'SpectraPure' started by djbonney138, Feb 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

Hi folks, I just had a question real quick. I bought a refurbished unit in August of 2011. Has worked great but I just had to purchase my 3rd DI cartridge this month. I am getting a rejection rate of 96.8% so I don't think it is the RO membrane. I have changed the carbon and sediment filter when I have changed the DI canister. TDS going into the unit is 288, coming out of the membrane is 9 and out of the DI is 2-4 depending on when I check. Temp is 60 and pressure is 60. The ratio of rejection is 4:1. Is this normal to go through DI cartridges this quickly?

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

about how many gallons are you getting?

4. djbonney138

I make 7-10 gallons a week for top off and do a 20 gallon water change every other week.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

That does seem like alot! Something must be off! I'd wait for AZdesertRat! He'll fix ya up! he's the RODI guru!

6. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

What di resign are you running? Your TDS should be zero coming out of the di, and you said its 2-4? Is that with new or old resign?

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

something is wrong here. If all your seals are tight and your tds meter is accurate then I am going to say to consider a different type of DI resin.
    AZdesertRat will likely ask you many more questions, but what is your current media? are you on sewer or well water? and do you know if you have high silicates or chloramines in your water?

8. Click Here!

9. djbonney138

My resin is the color indicating silica buster. After 2 months the resin had completely changed color and I just ran all these tests Sunday morning. I have new DI resin that just got delivered today. I have not put the new resin in as of today.

10. djbonney138

Also my water is the normal city tap and I don't know if I have high silicates/chloramine but I don't think so.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Ok, so how many have you used, and about how much water have you produced?

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Sometimes city water has chlorine added. this will make your resin go faster. Does you water smell or taste chlorine-ey