Going out of town for a few days

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Da_Gopherboy, Dec 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Thats weird, I've seen our Petco feed a Clip of algae to each tank and a little frozen mysis every day... I;ve never seen flake food used at ours. However the Aquatics manager trys her hardest, She has a nice tank 125 g I think.

2. Click Here!

3. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

+1 Karma to your Petco... I've seen some really horrible things in ours....

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Not saying ours isnt the greatest but someone can only be around to help and monitor things so much, Considering theres like 1 manager on at a time there and she has to run the store + tanks + birds + the other critters... Lot of work if you ask me.

There are times the tanks look amazing, then there are times they look like they just fell through.

5. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

Freeze dried cyclop- eeze my fish go crazy for it

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

When I went on vacation I portioned out a days worth of frozen food (x11) and kept them in the freezer. My pet sitter had no experience with fish and was able to handle this just fine. Came back to healthy, happy fish!

7. DavidTurner

DavidTurner Feather Duster

I will be gone for six days starting Tuesday and this combo works wonderfully for me.

Eheim 3581 digital feeder ($40) + Nutrafin Max Feeding Ring ($3).

I have the Eheim loaded with both pellets and flakes and is set to rotate once per day. Food drops below the surface or stays in feeding ring so my overflow does not clog up with 80% of the food.

Just took a photo and attached.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

DaDa

depending on the condition of my fish, If I went away for 1 week or less, I would not worry about feeding , if my fish where generally plump before leaving, they would last a week, on what they could scavenge in the tank

if I was going away for more than a week, I would ask someone to feed every other day and would explain how much and of what foods to feed , also leaving it in writing on a piece of paper placed on the canopy so they dont have to remember anything.

Steve

10. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

So, I couldn't get anyone competent to feed the fish. So what I did is went to a chain store and bought some bird feeding syringes. Filled them up with frozen food and refroze it. All of the syringes are portioned out properly (I checked a few days in advance) so the person feeding pulls out a syringe every other day and pumps it into the tank. No guess work, limited room for error. Will let you all know how it turns out!

P.S. Forgive the poor spelling grammer, am in the Airport right now waiting to get on the flight :p