Going for the planted tank ;)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by JJL, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

Well, coralife used to make a T5NO fixture but apparently they discontinued it. And in my little google search I was unable to find any other companies that make one for aquariums.

sooo...you can either go to home depot/Lowes and see what they have for T5NO fixtures and you will have to do a little DIY or you can go for T5HO fixtures.

I think if you were to get a cheapo 2 bulb T5HO fixture from Odyssea and hung it ~ 6" above the tank you could be in the medium light range.

48" T5 HO Aquarium Light Strip Hood Plant 6500K 108W | eBay

i personally love these fixtures as they are cheap and effective. You could even get the 4 bulb fixture and just use 2 of the bulbs. This way you will have the ability to increase the lighting at any point, if you desire. I have the 4 bulb version over my 75 gallon and it is really great.

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thanks again for the help!That one looks great, but I want to do some more looking around to be sure that I make the right choice!
    But...I have run into a problem...
    I have been thinking about my tank and the filtration of it when I realized I actually have an undergravel filter in it. Will this be a problem?
    Thanks
    JJL

4. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

Yes i would definitely put alot of of thought into what your goals are in terms of what plants you want to keep before picking a light. This is probably THE most important decision to make for a planted tank. Take a trip down to Lowes/home depot and check out what they have in terms of lighting.

Generally speaking undergravel filters are not considered good in a planted tank. I don't know much about it but from what I understand they will draw out all the good nutrients from your substrate. Again i have no first hand experience and I don't know anything about UG filters though.but this is what I have read in the past.

EDIT: I don't know what your budget is for this tank, but canister filters are really great for planted tanks.

5. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ok...if I have to I will take out the undergravel. Maybe 2in10 knows about them.
    I am way ahead of you with the canister...LOL...I have a Fluval 305 ;)
    I appreciate the help
    JJL