Going for the planted tank ;)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by JJL, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Awesome!
    Thank you very much
    I might not be in luck though with the lights...I do not really know what kind they are because I never really though it mattered because I only had fish. I know it is 32W and it is a single strip. It could be a T8...not sure though. It does have a reflector. For substrate I have gravel. I will look into the plants I would like then let you know tomorrow.
    Thanks again for all of the help ;)
    JJL

2. Click Here!

3. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

Yeah it is a T8. A single T8 bubl will put you at the very low end of low lighting and you will not be able to grow much if anything with it. I would definitely add in another bulb.

Here is a chart that i stole from here

[​IMG]

You can see that 1 T8 bulb ~20" from the substrate is REALLY low light.

EDIT: also...you will need bulb between 6500K and 10000K. Anything below 6500K is in the wrong spectral range for photosynthesis.

4. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

You can grow java moss under very low light. I've had it overgrow a 40 gallon under the single cheap fluorescent bulb that came with the tank.

Most small schooling fish , dwarf Cichlids, Angels, Discus and other calm peaceful fish work well in planted tanks. Fish to avoid would be the more aggressive Cichlids and any other species that's known to be destructive.

1 person likes this.
  5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Just get the total pellets and start placing them after a month or two. The substrate is good for almost 1 year IME without adding the pellets if you add liquid supplements. You may need to add a liquid supplement depending on your water and the plants chosen. Just wait on that though until there is a problem. Any of the books they offer on their site will do you well.

1 person likes this.
  6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would upgrade to a 2 bulb T5HO fixture for your tank. Any would do fine but I suggest one with individual reflectors. You should be able to keep just about whatever plant you like with that type of fixture.

7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ok...so I will look around for new lights...it seems like they will help a lot ;)
    Thanks for all of the help
    I will get back on the thread once I have picked my lights
    Then I will pick my plants
    Thanks again
    JJL

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Any suggestion on lighting?
    Here is an FTS on my 55...blurry...but you get the point ;)
    [​IMG]

10. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

Ha, I had that same castle when I first started on my 55 gallon tank as well!

If you get T5HO you will be in the high light range, while you will have a much larger range of plants to grow, it takes a lot more dosing to keep it balanced. If you want to keep it as a low light tank, you can get T5 NO fixtures. If you get 4 bulb fixture that will put you in the medium light range.

1 person likes this.
  11. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

LOL that is pretty funny...it is really cool though, it has so many hiding places and tunnels
    Do you think you can pick out some lights for me...LOL it is not easy: ENOUGH LIGHTS TO KEEP PLANTS BUT NOT TOO MUCH BECAUSE THAN I HAVE TO DOSE
    My tank is 48 inches long
    Thank you very much for your help ;)
    JJL

12. JJL

JJL Purple Tang