Going barebottom with no protection?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by stepho, May 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Hey guys. I've decided I am going barebottom on my next tank. I know a lot of people put starboard under their rocks. However I have heard some people say detritus gets under it, and others say it doesn't, and I'm thinking its kind of expensive and is it really needed?

In all my days of reefing I have never experienced a "rock slide." I've had some pretty out there rock stacks, and kept stomatopods on purpose, but never had a rock move. Of course I had sand to hold it in place also.

Obviously with the stakes being a little higher I think I will use some kind of rods to hold them in place.

Is insane?

For background this is going to be either an 8 gal tank or a 20 long, so it wouldn't be a huge drop if something did fall.

2. Click Here!

3. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

The rocks should be put in before the sand and stable on their own to prevent creatures from caving it in anyways. Just make sure the rock is stable when you put it in.

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I know. I'm going barebottom though so no sand. I doubt anything I am going to put in is capable of moving the rocks. I have several large pieces going in.

5. dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc Plankton

The "avalanche" is definitely the concern, but as you have said, you have never had a rock fall. My recommendation, since the tank is on the smaller side... Go to your local countertop shop, and ask them what they have in scraps in 1/2" Corian. You can find the retailers for Corian on Dupont's website. They will usually let scraps go for next to nothing. I personally like the Corian colors "Sahara" or "Sandstone". I run corian in my BB 60 cube and it has held up tremendously well and has a nice color to look at while it is getting covered in the tank.

Don

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

My next tank will be bare bottom as well and this concerned me. Can you post a pic don? That corian sounds cool.

7. dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc Plankton

Here a couple pics from a couple years ago when I had WAY too much rock in it :)

The MH on it washed out the color a bit in the first pic. The second pic is natural light. It is a nice break from the bright white of starboard, but still reflects light back up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Great suggestion Don. Thanks I'll look into that. What can you cut it with? Wet tile saw maybe?

10. dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc Plankton

Wet tile saw would work. I used my router with a flush cut bit and a board clamped where I wanted to cut. It cuts dry perfectly fine. It is an acrylic based product. Nice smooth lines and good edges with a router. Heck, I bet you could cut it on a table saw with a fine tooth blade.

Don

11. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

I went bare bottom on my 90 gallon over a year ago. would never go back to substrate.

12. dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc Plankton

I am in the process of setting up a 225 Gallon 5x3x2, and the quote I received for Corian for the bottom was over $500!! I think I am going to back to sand :) At least I will be able to keep some of the wrasses I haven't been able to for the past couple years!!!

As much as I love BB, SSB will work. I just need it to stay in place with all the flow I am going to have in the tank!

Don