goin the wrong way

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by botie, Apr 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. botie

botie Feather Duster

ok guys i went to the lfs today and got a new test kit (salifert kit) i tested my water and it came up 1380ppm for mag so i tested the same water with old kit came up 780ppm so i tested new ro water with salt came up with 1170 with salifert kit and 360ppm with sera(old kit) so i think i ficured my problem out my 3 weeks old kit is junk luna do you think i should still do a w/c thankx so much for your help guys you guy r awesome

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

id do one, as mag wasnt the problem. doesnt hurt, and trust me, it could save your tank ;)

4. botie

botie Feather Duster

all this time the dam kit was no good im goin to do it anyway my cal is 240 but i new it was low so now that i have this mag thing figured out im goin to start to and cal builder

1 person likes this.
  5. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I agree, water changes never hurt, and may help.
    Now, can you trust your other test kits? maybe the calcium one is erroneous also?
    I purchase test kits that give an expiry date and make sure that date is far enough in the future to be able to get the use out of the kit before it expires.
    For calcium and magnesium I personally only buy Salifert like the kit you just bought.
    FWIW, I test my water when I get a new pail of salt, determine how much calcium magnesium and alk are required to bring up the salt to the levels I want, and then add calcium chloride, magnesium chloride hexahydrate, and baked baking soda for alk, if needed, so my water when I do a water change is already at the levels I want.
    For maintainance dosing I use kalkwasser for all replacement of evaporated water.
    If you know someone who uses Randy Holmes-Farley's DIY additives for calcium alk and mag, then they can tell you where to get the chems to boost your salt to where you want it.
    The chem calculator available online will tell you how much to add if any boosting is required.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

OK Drops in CA, ALK, and MG are not going to kill fish. Regardless of those parameters there is another cause of death.

If your test kits are 2 weeks old I would ensure your testing methods are correct and you test the same all the time. Might be a good Idea to purchase better kits. or have the LFS test all the Parameters of your water. then run your test to see what is out. Take the kits back that aren't accurate

J

7. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

While the kits were only purchased a short time ago, they may have been sitting elsewhere, warehouse or shelves, for quite some time.
    If there is no expiry date on the product then it's hard to know just how old it is, unless there is a batch number the maker could tell you when it was made.
    While there is always the chance of procedural error, there is also a chance that even if the test kit is within the expiry date, it could be testing wrong, in which case as just mentioned, take the test kit back for a refund.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Botie, Before you go out and start dumping all kinds of additives, I would get new test kits and test everything that your planning to dose. Then dose accordingly to your new results. Your mag(1380) is fine. As for the WC, I would hold that thought b/c by doing the WC, you might be exporting everything that you just put in. Once again, get new test kits, dose accordingly. Let us know your results. Luna

10. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

How old is this tank ? you'll find that a "young" tank will have"buffering" problems' and if you look at your reading's.. every things "droping" at the same rate ( from what info you gave us here )
    get your ALK / Ph back up and add slowly your mag/cal , ie, a water change

Of course' i dont see this water chemestry' dropping so quickly in the course of one day ?
    Unless you added some coral's or fish at thesame time to put such a "fast draw" on the tank .
    and if you did' the tan wasint able to take such a heavy load ( spike ) on was availible to what you had if' any at the time .
    the tank had to "season" it's self out along with the live roack , thats what that live rock is there for along with a sand bed '
    it can help "buffer" and take in additional inhabitents , and your tank's not all that big to begin with. ( as compared to 100 gallons or more )
    and you've made no mention weather or not you have a refugium that helps to as well

11. botie

botie Feather Duster

wildreef i have a35 gallon sump with a small refugium in it and jason i want out tonight and bought all salifert kits the lfs will not test my water they said they dont do that and wont refund my money i wish there were other lfs by me but there isnt the next closest good fish store is 1 1/2hours away im goin to look into buyin my stuff off the internet from now on i think im goin to let everything settle down then adjust the chem before i go adding anything i did test the cal with the new kit and i came up with same reading 240 ppm so i might keep adding turbo cal thankx again guys

12. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

why dont you write the testkit company and ask them to refund the cost of your dead fish ;)