gobies again

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Guest, Mar 16, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

grasshopper
    they seemed to grow pretty good they were about 6 inches when i got them. ive had them 5-6 mths and there about a foot already

Anemoneman
    i do have pics of what they look like i dont have full pics of mine because there so hard to get a pic of im was lucky to get half of one comin out of the rock but somebody else i had been talking to sent me pics of his full grown gobies

heres mine

my engineer gobies

eng gobies

and heres the pics i was sent there a male and female pair

[​IMG]

i think one other reason i like them is i really like eels but one in my tank would end in dissaster where these guys look just like eels without all the aggressiveness and for there size there so docile its amazing

2. Click Here!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

there nice fish karla
    the only problem i have with getting an eng goby is that my tank is only 2ft by a foot, itd just b slack puttin one in there if they grow as quick as u say they do.
    i went to my lfs yesty an they recomended the chocolate goby, not a very attractive fish but supposedly do the job i want em to. anyone had any experience with this fish ??
    the fish they had there were a bit bigger than wat i wanted.
    i also came along something called the blue lined wrassse, which actually had red lines on it, a very nice, but small fish, bit to expensive for my liking.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i never heard of either of those gobies but any way you could get a pic id like to see them

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I to haven't heard of the goby nor the wrasse, try to get us the latin names as common names change from country to country.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

ok, from wat i could find, the so called "chocolate goby" is very similar to the banded goby[​IMG]
    im not exactly sure if the 2 fish r the same.

the other fish, wat i was "told was a wrasse" is in fact a goby.
    its scientific name is Amblygobius rainfordi, or as it is commonly known, rainfords goby. one shop tried to flog it off to me for $56 as a blue banded wrasse, i went to a more reliable lfs an he gave me the low down on it an i got a better qaulity fish for $30[​IMG]

7. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Hey grasshopper,

I happen to have a picture of a Rainsford's in my arsenal (I don't remember where I got it though). Did the other fish look like this?
    [​IMG]

Awesome fish. My lfs got 3 in a couple of weeks ago, but only one survived. They are pretty delicate. Make sure you see it eating before you purchase it, if you decide to buy one.

HTH!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Old Glory, yet another name for the rainfordi goby, excellent fish. Needs filamentous algae or else it'll starve. I put three (living as a perfect trio) in a friends tank, they're great. I've kept them in the past, you've got to make sure the ones you buy HAVE A GUT. If they've been starved, the belly will be concaved, do this with all fish. Angels, Butterflys and tangs also check how fat the upper portion of the fish is.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

thats him wrassman ! 8)
    hes been very active, pickin away at things in my tank
    can u give me a description of this filamentous algae.
    ive got that many types of algae growin in my tank
    wen i bought him he was munchin away on everythin in the tank, he doesnt have this concave u talk.

he seemed to handle my occelaris clowns well to, who r normally very protective of there tank.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Gobies don't usually get picked on by clowns. As for the filementious algae, I don't have picture, nor do I have time to surf for a picture for you. Its green strands, that don't branch of fern like (that would be bryopsis). It's just like freshwater filamentious aglae.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

i have two large bits of lr that are loaded with it i think
    he seems happy still, its been two weeks, hes still pickin, and hes poo'in a lot so i spose thats a good sign.