Go get a dog from the humane society, and please welcome my new boy Brutus;)

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by cosmo, Nov 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

it is so sad to see all the stories about how cruel people are to animals. Those bait dogs just kill me. Even after all they have gone through, they are still the sweetest animal you would ever want to meet. Our friend has rescued 2 bait pits, first one had scars from head to tail, and then someone got tired of her, guess she wasnt strong enough to even get attacked, so some jerk crushed her skull with a brick. I LOVED THAT DOG! When Brooke took her in she was just so lovey and came right to me and curled up in my lap.

As far as the amount of money we spend on our animals, it is well worth it. Oscar the pug in my avatar was a rescue dog, he was in a puppy mill with a ton of pugs and the owner lived in alaska. Well they moved the operation to kansas city in the middle of summer (was a hot summer). Pugs dont do well in heat because of their snouts and all the dogs died with the exception of Oscar and 1 other pug. So they took him and i adopted him. Unfortunately he developed severe epilepsy (which is treatable) and then he started to pass out. Well he had a collapsing trachea and it would cause his airway to close off and he would pass out. So I agreed to surgery for him knowing they might have to put him down on the table. That poor boy had a roter-rooter done through his airway, had tonsilectomy and adnoids, a large part of his soft pallate removed and some other airway stuff. Cost about 1500.00. While this surgery did not correct his problem and I had to put him down a month or so later, i do not regret doing the surgery he was worth trying to help him live! He was my best dog i have ever had

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Ive already posted some pictures of my dogs but here are some more for the sake of adding to this thread.

[​IMG]

The bigger ones name is Elvis, also known as Jack. Which is short for Jack***. You would understand if you met him, or you could just ask Chris. Haha.

[​IMG]

This is Lucy, also known as Herman. She was a rescue. By far the weirdest dog I have ever seen but she is also probably the best and most affectionate. We arent sure what her story is exactly but we are pretty sure that she was abandoned. She was very skinny when we got her, and she is still skinny now. Thats only because she is hyperactive though. She eats like a pig. Haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elvis was a puppy mill dog unfortunately... We didnt know until after we bought him on an impulse 7 years ago. He is healthy but I will never buy a dog from a pet store again.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

sweet dogs Norg.........are they min pin mixes? Great pics!!!

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

We think that Elvis is a manchester terrier/chihuahua mix. He acts like an alpha male chihuahua thats for sure. Lucy is a tough one... She has a long body, long legs, and dark markings like a min pin. So we think that she is probably a min pin/dachshund/chihuahua mix? She kinda more so resembles a mongoose or ferret though. She might even be a cross species mix. Haha. Either way it doesnt matter what she is. She is loved by pretty much everyone that sees her. Thanks!

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I am really loving this thread!

My wife and I are very involved with animal welfare and rescue. We volunteer our time with ARC(Animal Rescue Corps) on as many rescue operations as possible. And people buying dogs from a "breeder" is just one reason why we have to do what we do. Puppy Mills are an awful reality that so many are unaware of.
    Please read: Puppy Mills | Animal Rescue Corps

My wife also publishes a local pet magazine here in Nashville for the last 6 years, and she also started a non profit foundation to raise finds for spay and neuter. Here is a PSA that we did to try to inform people of the situation.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuD8RCUIqAs&feature=plcp

And here is a family photo of us and our 3 Amazing rescues.;D

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Awesome poochies Norg, I never thought I'd like a chihuahua, but my cheech is bada55;)

Awesome work Dowtish, and great looking family! thanks for helping and spreading the word to not buy dogs! And for helping find many new homes! We need more people like everyone thats posted on here;) Thanks again!

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Here are my other doggie rescued!

This is cheech, my chihuhua, he was beaten by his owners and then left in a home while they left on a 2 week vacation with no food and a broken leg. A back window "somehow" got broke and the dog removed by "somebody" when he was 2 1/2" pounds and almost dead! Today he is 6 pounds but walks on his hind legs alot because he learned to when his leg was broke!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Harley, he was attached to a 3' chain with no shelter, no access to food or water or shade and infested with fleas ticks and open sores due to not being able to move! The neighbors would take over food and the cops did nothing! After a few trips to the house offering money to take the dog, and the owners refusal of such, a heated argument happened with threats made;) Long story short, 2 nights later somehow Harley's chain broke and he ran into the back seat of my car! Kinda odd I was driving by when that happened!;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But even neglected these dogs are the best ever! They love and appreciate what we did for them! So before buying a dog, please go give a rescue a chance! You can always foster them to see how they fit in instead of adopting;)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i love that last picture.......the action shot of the little dog with the big attitude!!!! Grabbing the big dog tail!

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol, hon, my poor cheech is gonna get it someday! That Great Dane REFUSES to walk past my house because of cheech! He's terrified of him.