Go get a dog from the humane society, and please welcome my new boy Brutus;)

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by cosmo, Nov 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Five days ago, I got a call a that a dog was on the side of the road, right on my route to work which is pretty much just farmland in the desert.

We hoped in the van and went to check it out. In the knee high brown weeds was a young dog the same color as the brush.

He was starved and dehydrated and could not stand. We brought him back to the facility and name him Roadie.

After some IV fluids and some food it became apparent on day 2 he was in pain and could not walk.

His pelvis is shattered and his leg is broken. I was heart broken. He never showed anything but gratitude for the rescue. Big brown lab eyes and a wagging tail even while starved and broken.

Today he went to Mexico across the boarder to a vet that will do the surgery for much cheaper. We currently have 7 charity dogs.

I will post images of Roadie when is better, but he has really captured my heart with his mild and forgiving ways. He is just happy someone finally saw him in the bushes.

Thanks for letting me share his story.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

All 3 of my dogs were rescues from BAD situations, and all 3 are the sweetest most loving dogs ever! They truly know what you did for them. Congrats on the rescue, and much love for doing it.

Awesome and SAD story Cheryl, its sad how many horror stories there are out there. How can anyone harm these sweet animals? Amazing work going out of your way like that. Wish there were more people like you in this world, and wish I had access to a vet like that, I'd prob have 7 dogs too, but Brutus' bill was $155 today, and Harleys will be close to that next week. But the joy these buggers give ya unconditionally is amazing!

4. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Heck all my cats are rescues to. Its just a shame that ppl do that to animals but my cat she came from a elderly lady that had alzhimers and was forgeting she had a cat, her daughter didnt want it so she took ti the pound were I found her took so effort but got her out of her shell and they planed on putting her down since ppl wouldnt give her a chance, I mean yes she was evil when I got her but she felt abonded after a week of giving her space she let me pet her purrered everything. Ppl have to remember you may adobt them but you have to give them time to adobt you.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

WEll said, sure some rescues come with issues, but so do purebreds, and these cost ALOT less, but yes please consider an adult dog, but know that event though they may ahve issues, there few months of work is better than a puppys 1 year of training and chewing and pooping and peeing, and chewing and pooping and peeing and chewing! lol etc

But yes, well said, let them tell you whats comfortable;)

6. Corailline

I am currently living through cat hell. I guess we all make the adjustments to make them fit into our lives and us into their lives. I just hope when mine get older they get mellower.

Roadie's surgeries would have been around 7 grand in the US. Compared to 1500 by a good vet in Mexico, something is wrong when you can not get an injured animal surgery for under 7 grand. :angry:

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

OUCH, still $1500 for a dog you don't know is AMAZINGLY generous and kind of you, WOW, much love your way! But yes that is a racket, I had a cat a few years back, a Maine Coon, loves that big boy, he was awesome, he got hit by a car and broke his jaw, $1500 later and a wired jaw, he was out of the vet! Dumb ******* got hit by another car 2 months later and got killed. $1500 for 2 months. He was pretty damn dumb, but that sucked. And I thought that was ridiculous.

8. Click Here!

9. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I agree 1000000000% Cosmo, I HAVE NEVER and WILL NEVER purchase any dog or cat from a pet store, every animal that me or my wife has ever owned has been from the Humane society and they have/are all been AMAZING animals...

Right now we have our pit bull who was a rescue dog because some ******* was using him as a "bait dog" to train other pit bull's how to fight because my dog is so sweet and mellow he doesnt fight back "my dad's mini schnauzer goes after him and he barks and bites into the air so that he doesnt hurt the little dog LOL"

And we also have a new foundland/lab mix that my wife picked up because some piece of **** put him and the 6 other puppies from the litter and put them in a garbage bag and threw them out onto I95 in the middle of rush hour traffic!!!
    He was the only dog from the litter that survived and when my wife adopted him he had 4 broken legs as well as a broken hip and some broken ribs from being thrown out of a moving car and rolling down the highway and then being hit by a vehicle...

I just cant understand for the life of me HOW people can be so cruel towards animals???
    Everytime those damn ASPCA commercials come on me and my wife have to change the channel because the pictures and stupid sarah Mclaclin music upset us so much

This is Elvis my rescue pit bull, we call him elvis because he has nerve damage on his face from being used as a bait dog and he does that lip curl thing like Elvis Presley used to do "although he cant control it LOL"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

There used to be a vet down here that would do surgery for me if you brought in an injured rescue dog/cat just because he knew you were a good person and trying to do something good to help save an animals life

Unfortunately he retired but the work he did was amazing because there just arent people around like that anymore that notice and appreciate people doing "god's work" if you will

11. Corailline

We have some very good country vets down here. One came over after the shift and brought me some IV fluids and supplies.

The money for our rescued charity cases comes from fund raisers. Like this year we will be taking pictures of your pet with Santa, all that money goes to the dogs.

We offer raffles were you can win some free training for a donation to a particular dog.

In the end though my boss makes it all happen.

Unfortunately when you live in the country on a boarder town there are a lot of strays, the culture is different. People do not spay and neuter, put collars on their pets or get vaccinations. A lot pets are for protection and ranching they are just tools not family members.

12. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I can assure you it had NOTHING to do with the fact that the dog was a rescue dog and more to do with the dog itself, NOT with where it came from...especially if you had it awhile

I am curious though are you 100% sure that it wasnt something that your kid did to the dog that made it attack?
    I ask because dogs will NOT just go off and attack a person for no good reason and children are known to pull on dogs tails and ears and hair and generally do things that arent exactly ideal or wanted by the dogs, I'm not saying it WAS your kids fault that the dog attacked but rather I am saying it is a possibility

I mean I know if someone was pulling on my ears or what little hair that I have left I would probably bite them to if I didnt have hands to smack them with instead LOL